Do you believe this ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandy456

Reaction score
Some people out there, think there are negative calorie foods.

A negative calorie food is a low calorie food to start with, then ends up being 'negative' by burning those calories, and extras by how it takes to eat them (chewing, and so forth)

So, here's the list of 'negative calorie foods'

[align=center]Negative Calorie Foods ~ Vegetables

asparagus
beets
broccoli
cabbage (green)
carrots
cauliflower
celery
chicory
chili peppers
cucumbers
endive
garlic
lettuce
onions
papayas
spinach
turnip
zucchini

Negative Calorie Foods ~ Fruit

apples
cranberries
grapefruit
lemons
mangos
oranges
pineapple
raspberries
strawberries
tangerines[/align]

I'm not sure if its true of not but I just watched this show on the food network that tests food myths(I think its called food detectives or something) and they did talked about celery and how its a negative calorie food.

I could believe something like celery or lettuce being negative calories but I dont' think fruits are and other on that list. Fruits are too high in calories and you dont' burn many calories by digesting.

degrassi wrote:
I'm not sure if its true of not but I just watched this show on the food network that tests food myths(I think its called food detectives or something) and they did talked about celery and how its a negative calorie food.

I could believe something like celery or lettuce being negative calories but I dont' think fruits are and other on that list. Fruits are too high in calories and you dont' burn many calories by digesting.
Fruits aren't that high in calories, depending on which that is, but they are high in sugars.

i was always told celery was...not negative but you ate it and spent so much energy chewing it it went to zero...didnt know there were lots of foods they say about thatt

Brandy456 wrote:
degrassi wrote:

Fruits aren't that high in calories, depending on which that is, but they are high in sugars.
I meant too high in calories compared to things like lettuce or celery. Too high in calories to be considered "negative calorie" foods. compare a celery stalk(average 8-10calories) to an apple(60-70calories). I doubt you burn 60 calories with chewing and digestion. But I can see burning 8-10, per celery stalk.

After reading this I've been doing a bit of research and I can't find any medical studies that prove "negative calories". The most i've found is articles that say it may be true but that you would have to eat 25 celery stalks just to burn 50 cals, since the most you'd burn is 2 calories for every 1 calorie of celery eaten. Doesnt' sound like a good way to "diet"

degrassi wrote:
Brandy456 wrote:
degrassi wrote:

I meant too high in calories compared to things like lettuce or celery. Too high in calories to be considered "negative calorie" foods. compare a celery stalk(average 8-10calories) to an apple(60-70calories). I doubt you burn 60 calories with chewing and digestion. But I can see burning 8-10, per celery stalk.

After reading this I've been doing a bit of research and I can't find any medical studies that prove "negative calories". The most i've found is articles that say it may be true but that you would have to eat 25 celery stalks just to burn 50 cals, since the most you'd burn is 2 calories for every 1 calorie of celery eaten. Doesnt' sound like a good way to "diet"
I bet I could burn off the calories of the apple peeling off the skin with a spoon, or coring it with my nails. =D

dude. if all you're eating is celery then... i don't know i don't count veggies and fruits as calories anyways (even though some have lots)

haha if it's a salad it's healthy right? TACO salad?

but seriously i could see celery. i mean you'd probably die from just eating celery ... right?

laurabeth wrote:
dude. if all you're eating is celery then... i don't know i don't count veggies and fruits as calories anyways (even though some have lots)

haha if it's a salad it's healthy right? TACO salad?

but seriously i could see celery. i mean you'd probably die from just eating celery ... right?

It would be almost like anorexia.

Although celery has some nutrients, and water based.

So not likely.

Although for long periods of time you'd eventually turn brittle and gross.

Latest posts

Back