Do they know?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolishRabbitmama

Reaction score
Do does know when they are pregnant? Like one day they breed and they're excepting and when rebred they grunt and are mad. Silly question but I'm just curious.

you bet. i have does that i will breed. and if they even see a buck they will grunt and want nothing to do with them.

No sometimes the doe will allow the mating even if she is already pregnant which can cause a double pregnancy which as you can imagine is dangerous for the doe. This is why I personally prefer palpating the doe to see whether I can feel the young.

Within 24 hours the doe usually knows if she's bred. This last time that we bred our Polish, we waited until the next evening to re-breed (we usually only wait 4-5 hours). All three tried to attack the buck this time, and they were pretty receptive the day before. As it turns out, all three had litters.

One of our Tans that we palpated after two weeks, we thought didn't take, so we re-bred her at that 2-week mark. She wasn't happy about it and grunted, but didn't attack the buck. As it turns out she had one kit 2 weeks later and THANKFULLY had nothing 2 weeks after that. It can be hard to feel anything when they only have one kit in them...but we learned our lesson!

i have been breeding for 6 years now and i still never got the hang of it. lol. so i just learned to be patient.

I find that that by feeling before she is pregnant and then again after mating I am able to feel the difference, but some do try and fool you that's for sure!

Latest posts

Back