Do they ever Sleep?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konotashi

Reaction score
I noticed something today when I was hanging out with Schnitzel on my chest.... I've never seen a bunny sleep!

Do they sleep? Er. I mean obviously they sleep, but how? Do they sleep with their eyes open or something?

I have caught Michiko sleeping. She likes to flop on her side in her bed and sleep.

I think that you don't see them sleep because they are light sleepers and I have noticed Michiko will wake at even the slightest noise.

I imagine this is something built-in because they are prey animals. They hear everything and as soon as there's a 'disturbance in the force' they are immediately awake and watching. Have to stay on your toes if you're an herbivore!

i see roxy sleep all the time, but then she's in the living room by my computer...

i love it when she dreams and her little paws twitch.. it's really cute..

I haven't seen my buns eyes closed either. But i do think i caught Butterscotch sleeping with his eyes OPEN the other day..it was creepy

Rabbits have a third eyelid which allows them to sleep with their eyes open. This is a protection for them in the wild as it makes them look like they're awake, when they're really asleep. Of course, they're also really light sleepers, soeven the slightest noise or movement will wake them.

You can tell when a bunny is asleep, though,because that's the only time their noses stop wiggling. :D

It's still kinda creepy though. :p

Rue

My Kirby sleeps when he is in the "chicken" pose. His nose stops wiggling, his eyes close about halfway, and he doesn't move for a very long time.
Toby, however, completely flops over, his eyes are halfway closed, soft breathing and no nose wiggling. You can tell Toby is konked out. He sometimes sleeps in chicken mode too, but every afternoon I've ever spent with him, I have seen him flop over on his side, squashing his whiskers on one side, and sleep like that. In my avatar, you see him sleeping in one of the shots.

Yep, they sleep! :biggrin2:

DSCF0003-3.jpg

I don't see Dunkin sleeping like the above that often, a few times a week. Amber I can find sleeping on her side, eyes closed, daily. Dunkin often sleeps sitting on his shelf, eyes open. I know he is sleeping because his pupils shrink to a tiny size and he starts snoring.

Just took this about 2 minutes ago, MooMoo is fast asleep, her eyes are half open..you cant tell in the pic though. She also didnt even wake up when the flash went off or when the camera banged against the cage lol

MooMoo017.jpg

Aw! MooMoo looks so cute all flopped out like that!

Here's Gus fast asleep:

13033_323108815505_779545505_9514691_1830429_n.jpg

I've never seen him sleep with his eyes even half closed. They're always wide open. (Though it can sometimes be hard to tell due to the black circles around his eyes! ;))

Rue

Gosh my bunnies will just flop and sleep anywhere they like...I have a few videos of my bunnies while they are sleeping.

each one is different, but I have seen several of mine sleeping. Ted probably sleeps 22 hours a day. Bunnicula 2nd, is on the Avatar as our signature bunny--that's her at 4 months sound asleep on her back with all four feet in the air--she used to sleep like that in her hay rack til she out grew it. If you go to Bonnie's page on the Rainbow Bridge, I put a picture of her asleep behind her vegetable dish--she was a flop and sleep rabbit. Have caught all of ours sleeping at one time or another.

I have seen all of my bunnies sleep with their eyes closed, but they usually do it with eyes half open, either in chicken pose or flopped. I remember seeing Muffin totally close her eyes while chicken-sleeping and it was adorable! I had to stay up until about 4 am to see her do that, though.

Kirby just slept in chicken mode and eyes completely shut! Toby just flopped over with his eyes open, but he's definitely out like a light.

What's a third eyelid and is it visible? Do they blink with a 3rd eyelid??

Both of my lop boys sleep like rocks. They're usually stretched out. Nick's body is usually on it's side, with his head upright, chin on the floor. Benjamin is also a deep sleeper, they both close their eyes all the way when asleep.

My girls are another story, though. I have, very occasionally, seen Amelia asleep with her eyes closed, but she's usually got them half-open. I have never seen Tobi close her eyes longer than to blink. The only way I know she's asleep is from the nose not moving! I joke that it's no wonder Tobi is neurotic, you can't be sane if you never sleep.

Question: Is "chickenmode" the same as "loaf"? If so, Tobi and Amelia regularly sleep in Chicken Mode; Amelia sometimes sleeps stretched out, Tobi Never does.

Latest posts

Back