Do they actually turn down people for adopting a rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smelly, just make sure that you will be able tocare for your rabbit whether or not you live with yourparents. As much as I wanted pets in college, I stuck with asingle betta and then still didn't get a furry pet (a hamster) for overa year after I graduated. It's hard to find apartments thatlet you have animals and money is always tight right after yougraduate. I'd hate to see you stuck between a rock and a hardplace with your bunny. If you're confident that you canafford to care for a rabbit, find an apartment that will let you haveone, etc., then it's okay.

That's why shelters ask those questions. They want to makesure that the animal will receive necessary vet care, the owner will beable to afford it's normal daily care, and it won't need to be rehomeddue to landlord issues or lack of an animal-friendlyapartment. Rehoming an animal once is bad enough, but repeatrehoming plain sucks.

I see how a lot of questions are valid butsometimes I think they over do it. I wanted to adopt when I got a 3rdbunny but the local shelter was VERY rude to me about it because Ihouse mine outside. They went as far as to tell me to surrender mybunnies because they were being neglected when they had not even seenthem! :X

Ok, I understand they need to be cautious but an inside bunny can beneglected just as easily as an outside one. If the people from theshelter could only visit my bunnies here and then they'd see the carethey got. I mean, I'm always outside, rain, snow, or what ever elseAlberta weather throws at me. My hutches and clean, safe, and secure.My bunnies are all very friendly (even if Zoey is hand shy right now).What I really don't get is the fact that they didn't even care that Ihad had my boys for 3 years at that time and I had not lost interest,so why would they think I would after all that time?

I do understand the age limit but I also think exceptions should be given there (look at SLG and how she is with Sebbie).

Anyways, because of my experience, I never recommend the shelter toanyone here, that's just my opinion though. I don't like pet storeseither but I did consider one that seems half decent around here.Eventually I ended up with a breeder bunny. But I'm glad I got Zoey,she doesn't have a very good pet personality at the moment and I wouldhate to know what would have happened had I not taken her since I wasnot looking for my match, but a match for one of my boys so herpersonality is not a huge thing with me.

Yeah, thats why I think sometimes it is goodwhen they pay a house visit to check the place out. But, Iknow they are overwhelmed that most dont have time for this.

Its sad bc someone like MBB wouldnt be able to adopt even though sheprovides what I believe to be the best outdoor housing/care Ive everseen..whereas someone who is just gonna throw their new rabbit into acage and forget about it in 6 months (after the fun wears off) would beable to adopt.

I guess theres realy no fool-proof way to determine what kind of homethe rabbit is going to and theyre just doing their best.....who knows

I definitely agree. In some rare cases, such asthe Colorado HRS and other HRS chapters, they have home visits beforeand after adopting the rabbit, and I think that is a bettersolution. I don't know how some of them have the time, though...especially since almost all of the staff consists of volunteers!Although the somewhat lengthy process of adopting doesn't eliminate allproblems and creates problems for others, I do think it deters would-benovelty adopters a bit, because I doubt a parent is going to go throughall the trouble to trick the HRS to adopt a bunny for her child. It'soften a lot of email and phone tag, too... as schedules don't alwaysmatch up.

The bun rescue organization where I got Nibblesis very thorough re. checking things out, though they don't do homevisits. I have a lot of respect for the folks there, and thinkthey're really doing the right thing by the buns and the people whowant to adopt. So many of the buns came from awful situations anddeserve to be loved and cared for properly.

And they have had people violate their contracts. (I had to sign anagreement that included several things I'd never have thought of, butthat people have done - incredibly "squeemy" stuff.)

I can't speak for the US but here in the UK therequirements are very much down to the individual rescue. It's a goodidea to find out what your local rescue requires in the way of housingetc. before you go out and buy anything.

I know rescues that won't rehome indoors unless the rabbits have accessoutdoors, or rehome outdoors unless the rabbits have access to grass,the size requirements are also quite varied. Anything for 4' minimumhutches no nothing smaller than 6'x2.5'. I've also heard people truneddown because althought their accomodation has the same floor area ofthe rescues requirements it's not split exactly right betweenhutch/run.

One of my next projects is to write some advice sheets for rescues as Ithink part of the problem is, in the UK atleast, alot of rescues arerun by individuals who might not have the latest info on things likehouse rabbits. We're very connected by the internet, it's easy toforget if you don't have it there isn't that much information availableor people to discuss things with. Or atleast there is a lot ofinaccurate information to wade through!

One lady who adopted recently was told by her vet she shouldn't bekeeping her rabbit inside she should get a hutch outdoors for it! Thereis so much misinformation given out by sources that should be accurateit makes it hard work for everyone to work out what theyshould/shouldn't be doing, rescues included.

Tam

So much crap I have to go through toadopt... Might just do the same thing I did withSmelly... Go to the nearest house with a "Buy live rabbitsfor meat!" sign in the yard and get one of those. lol

Smelly wrote:
Might just do the same thing I did withSmelly... Go to the nearest house with a "Buy live rabbitsfor meat!" sign in the yard and get one of those. lol

That would certainly be a rescue bunny!Snake foodbunnies, too. "Snatched from the jaws of death..."

There's also people on Craigslist giving away sorely neglected orabused bunnies, 'free to good home', which meansthey'llprobably end up as snake food too.

Go for it!

sas

That's about 250 miles from me if I went straight. The drive is about 9 hours. A bit too far lol.

On this topic, I was volunteering today, hangingout in the cat room, when a lady asked me, "what are your requirementsfor adopting a cat?"

My response, basically, if you can pay, you can have it.

She and this other guy were so relieved, they were talking about howthey had been looking in rescues, and they want a home visit, thenanother one 6 months later, and alot of information they just didn'twant to give out. Both of those people left our shelter witha kitty. I could tell they were truly great people, just noteveryone wants to go thorough all that trouble.

Latest posts

Back