Do they actually turn down people for adopting a rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smelly

Reaction score
I'm sure they do to those truely evil but the applications still make me squeemy.

Also, (side note) I saw a short videos of a strange Sheep like Woolyrabbit (no link oh noes!)... what the heck kind of breed wasit? It had very fluffy almost wooly long hair with a blackfur face (not wooly) and patches of the wooly hair at the tip of it'sears. Strange looking big rabbit.

Yes, they do turn people down. Main things arehousing condition (some have to come and see your home), if you haveanother rabbit who is not altered, if your landlord wont sign aconsent, etc. Did you find a bunny to adopt???

The rabbit you saw was probably a jersey wooly (or theres the lionhead,teddy lop, angora) all have that long crazy hair. I'll see if I canfind a pic :)

-haley

When I tried to adopt a friend for my bun Rodneyfrom my local shelter, they turned me down because we have a pet dog. Ithink this is pretty silly as many people have other pets which getalong with their rabbits just fine.

Heres a few pics of the breeds I mentioned above-any look familiar?

This first one is from Mummel's blog seen here and this bun is a teddy lop mix:

Mosi1.jpg

(http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=14427&forum_id=6)

And a Jersey Wooley (see link below):

JW_black.JPG

(http://www.njwrc.net/photos_self.htm)

And an Angora (see link below):

mazey.jpg

http://www.angorarabbit.com/angora/photos/index.htm

Nope. None of those look like it.

It's not one I've seen in real life. It's one I saw on Youtube and can't find the video anymore.

If they come to my house... My room is the only clean roomlol. My family sucks at keepingthe cleanhouse. lol

Not like the rabbit would go anywhere but my room and the yard (whichis also my responsibility... which means they're the only twoclean things).

And no I still haven't tried to adopt or anything yet and have no idea who I will because I have to wait for my next check.

The shelter I got Misty at asked me things likewhat would I feed her, how much play time should she have, what sizecage should she be in, when will I take her to the vet, do I have otherpets or rabbits.

At the time I was living at my parent's house and I have a bun therethat was un-neutered, but I was moving out within a couple months -they seemed to be hesitant when I mentioned I had an un-neutered buneven though Misty was spayed.

My shelter is pretty loose on who adoptsrabbits, but they do ask about if you have a vet, if you'll be bondingthe bun with a current one or if you'd like to adopt a second, if thebunny will be inside and what kind of cage (no outdoor bunnies),etc. Also if you have or will soon have young children, ifyou're planning on moving soon, and what you'll do with your pets ifyou need to move. Of course, I also had a recently-spayedMocha with me to have a bunny date and the rabbit person could probablytell I already knew a lot of the important basics.

A lot of shelters will not let anyone adopt rabbits if they'll be keptoutside. In some ways it's unfortunate because there are somevery good bunny owners who keep their rabbits outside. Butthere are also so many bad bunny owners that keep their rabbits outsidethat with the increased risk of predators, diseases, heat stroke, andfrost bite on top of it I can understand their position.

naturestee wrote:
A lot of shelters will not let anyone adopt rabbits ifthey'll be kept outside. In some ways it's unfortunatebecause there are some very good bunny owners who keep their rabbitsoutside.

Yeah! Lots of people on other forums seem to shun me as soon as i say ikeep my bun outside but he is FINE. I think that alot of people in theUS can't really keep bunnies outside because of the temperature. OK sothe weather in the UK is pretty Crap but its consistent. We don't haveboiling summers and freezing winters, we have kindacoldwinters and kinda warm summers so its not as harsh on therabbit being outside.

pinksalamander wrote:
naturestee wrote:
A lot ofshelters will not let anyone adopt rabbits if they'll be keptoutside. In some ways it's unfortunate because there are somevery good bunny owners who keep their rabbits outside.

Yeah! Lots of people on other forums seem to shun me as soon as i say ikeep my bun outside but he is FINE. I think that alot of people in theUS can't really keep bunnies outside because of the temperature. OK sothe weather in the UK is pretty Crap but its consistent. We don't haveboiling summers and freezing winters, we have kindacoldwinters and kinda warm summers so its not as harsh on therabbit being outside.

Actually some shelters over here only rehome bonded rabbits to liveoutside not inside. Of course it depends on the rescue. As PinkSalamander said, our climate is alot less harsh so outdoor rabbits aremore common.

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:
pinksalamander wrote:
naturestee wrote:
A lot ofshelters will not let anyone adopt rabbits if they'll be keptoutside. In some ways it's unfortunate because there are somevery good bunny owners who keep their rabbits outside.

Actually some shelters over here only rehome bonded rabbits to liveoutside not inside. Of course it depends on the rescue. As PinkSalamander said, our climate is alot less harsh so outdoor rabbits aremore common.
[align=left]From the New Jersey (USA) House Rabbit Society website:
"NJ House Rabbit Society screens all potential adopters carefully. Anadoption application and adoption contract are required.Note: NJHRS will notadopt any of our rabbits to families who plan on keeping the rabbitoutdoors."
[/align]
[align=left]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/align]
[align=left]On the other hand, ourlocal shelter will give a bunnie to anyone who can pay the$25.[/align]

Smelly wrote:
Also, (side note) I saw a short videos of a strange Sheep like Woolyrabbit (no link oh noes!)... what the heck kind of breed wasit? It had very fluffy almost wooly long hair with a blackfur face (not wooly) and patches of the wooly hair at the tip of it'sears. Strange looking big rabbit.

Perhaps a Giant or German Angora?

giantangora.jpg

WoolyWabbits-freda-pasco-320.jpg

photo from:http://joyofhandspinning.com/wooly-wabbit.html

Pam

Aaahhhhh....t'would be so nice to have weatherlike yours!!! I love the rain and fog and mild climate, sothe general area would be so perfect for my taste!! :)

*sigh* The weather here is so dang hot right now (about100F)...I can't STAND such hot weather...I tend to just stay indoorsmost of the summertime. People accuse me of being a hermit,but hey, if you don't HAVE to go out into heat like that, then whyBOTHER? We keep our house at a good 68-70F, and that'sPERFECT for me! I'm sure our animal babies don't mind,either! :)

pinksalamander wrote:
naturestee wrote:

naturestee wrote:
A lot of shelters will not let anyone adopt rabbits ifthey'll be kept outside. In some ways it's unfortunatebecause there are some very good bunny owners who keep their rabbitsoutside. But there are also so many bad bunny owners thatkeep their rabbits outside that with the increased risk of predators,diseases, heat stroke, and frost bite on top of it I can understandtheir position.

:hbunnysmellon the nosie...me thinks!

I think they're more concerned with the owners not being able to properly house and take care of an outside bunnie.

Buck kept his bunnies outside for years with no problems. When hepassed, I offered to adopt one of his bunnies, but then had secondthoughts. It was because I questioned my own abilities to take propercare of her. I certainly didn't want anything to happen to her and haveit be my fault because I didn't know.

It was some kind of Angora probably.The video quality sucked. IfI had to choose itlooked more likethe German one but with wierder hair (mighthave been stylized by the owner? lol).

maherwoman wrote:
Aaahhhhh....t'would be so nice to have weather likeyours!!! I love the rain and fog and mild climate, so thegeneral area would be so perfect for my taste!! :)

*sigh* The weather here is so dang hot right now (about100F)...I can't STAND such hot weather...I tend to just stay indoorsmost of the summertime. People accuse me of being a hermit,but hey, if you don't HAVE to go out into heat like that, then whyBOTHER? We keep our house at a good 68-70F, and that'sPERFECT for me! I'm sure our animal babies don't mind,either! :)

I know whatyou mean about the heat. It's been above100 since early June. Luckily it's cooled down to about 85now, though it was 77 when I left school, but that's on the other sideof the hill.

It gets pretty hot here in the summers,especially compared to the winters. However, we have about 9 months ofsummer (no, I'm NOT exaggerating) and not much of a fall or spring. Forexample, tommorrow it's suppose to be 52 F. Brrr. Just a week or twoago it was still in the high 70's! It all changes so fast.

All the rescues here WILL NOT adopt to outdoor homes, under anycircumstances, and personally check up on adopters to assure this. Mostwon't even consider a household with children under the age of 10,either. I think that is somewhat reasonable though, depending on thesituation. However, there aren't any rescues by me. Plenty of breeders,though, especially an hour or two away. The good news is that PetStores don't carry rabbits around here.

I believe, though I may be wrong, that most house rabbits in the US areviewed much differently than they are elsewhere. Since apartments andconodo's are so common here in the big city, they are literallyreplacing dogs and cats as housepets, and thus are not kept outside. Iknow many people whose housebunnies sleep on their beds, go for walksand take showers daily with their owners, and dine next to the humansat dinner time much like a dog. They accompany their owners on shoppingtrips and on adventures to animal parks, and they relax in the backyardwith together. They really become family members more than most outdoorpets seen every few hours or so. I know there are exceptions, includingsome on this board, but from what I've seen and heard, this seems to bethe truth.

I'm going to fail the questions:

Do you plan to move soon? (I'm a friggin' college student... I'll probably move 5 times in the next 10 years)

Do you have a vet? (my parents handled the vet stuff until now so no but I can get one)

Does anyone in your house have allergies to rabbits? (Mom does butthat's half the reason to get indoor rabbits ;) so she won't come intomy room at random all the time)

Blablabla...

I'll try to rescue but if that doesn't work I'm going to be forced to get pet store ones.

Well I'm probably being too hard on myself. Not getting rabbits again until October or November anyways.

I'm allergic to rabbits, but of course I'd nevertell them that. I'd flat out lie :D And, I know I'll be moving in thenext year and then after two years of college I'll be moving again. Mylittle german bunny will DEFINITELY be going with me, though. It's hardto convince them of these things.

Don't give up.

Latest posts

Back