do rabbits sweat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No.

They dissipate heat through their ears and through their breathing. Thats why when a rabbit starts to get overheated you will notice that their muzzle may become damp.

JimD wrote:
No.

They dissipate heat through their ears and through their breathing. Thats why when a rabbit starts to get overheated you will notice that their muzzle may become damp.

Hmm, i guess this would explain why you're supposed to mist their ears if you see them getting overheated.

ilovetegocalderon wrote:
JimD wrote:
No.

Hmm, i guess this would explain why you're supposed to mist their ears if you see them getting overheated.

Yeppers!! :thumbup

From what I understand, their inability to sweat is why fans don't cool them off the same way they cool off people. Although, I do use fans to blow cooler air into the otherwise hotter rabbit room.

Fans are very helpful in cooling rabbits because they expedite evaporation of moisture in the air, thus cooling the rabbit. As already mentioned, one of the major cooling mechanisms for rabbits is respiration. The rabbit is cooled as the moisture from its breathing evaporates. This is why it becomes very difficult for the rabbit to cool itself in humid weather. Humans also dissipate body heat through respiration, as well as by sweating.

Pam

Oh, that's good to know. I guess my ceiling fans are doing some good. Thank you for correcting me:).

pamnock wrote:
Fans are very helpful in cooling rabbits because they expedite evaporation of moisture in the air, thus cooling the rabbit. As already mentioned, one of the major cooling mechanisms for rabbits is respiration. The rabbit is cooled as the moisture from its breathing evaporates. This is why it becomes very difficult for the rabbit to cool itself in humid weather. Humans also dissipate body heat through respiration, as well as by sweating.

Pam

Thanks Pam,
I'm always careful not to have a fan blowing directly on the buns, too.
We have an air filter in the bunnie room that blows straight up to the ceiling, but keeps the air constantly moving around.

~Jim

Zeke's favorite place to take a rest is right in front of the air conditioning vent! Do rabbits usually like air blowing directly on them?

Erin

Latest posts

Back