Do rabbits need buddies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunLuvvie

Reaction score
I was wondering if one rabbit would be happy without a bun-friend. I am starting out with one and don't want her to be lonely. If I spoiled her and spent alot of time with her, would it be ok?
Mods; I'm not sure I posted in the right place, feel free to move this post.

I started out with one bunny too and he was fine. But ofcourse i live on a farm and he was allowed to run on the goats pen durning the day so he wasnt lonely. Do you have any other sweet-nature pets that you could have bond with the bunny?

I've heard that Bunnies get alone great with Kitten if they and introduced safely. :) Take it slow and let each of them use to each other

It all depends on the bunny and the level of interaction they get during the day.

Some bunnies can be very happy alone, some desperately need a friend. I prefer to see my buns with a friend or two, although I do have some singles, and that is because they are far too picky to have a friend and are happier alone.

When it comes to the kitten, read the link in the Bunny 101 forum about Rabbits and Cats. I personally would never trust my cat with my rabbits, despite the fact she is good with them. Be very careful, whatever you do with them.

When I had nibbles she was alone and was super happy when I would play with her and I would spend lots of time with her.. but this time I decided I was going to get two because I have less time to spend with my buns so I adopted Minnie and Mickey from a great family and they are super happy! So I guess it really depends on how much time you really have to spend with them.

If you decide to get your bunny a friend I would definitely go the "bunny dates" route to see if you can find a compatible match before you take another one home. We made the mistake of picking a random pal for our only bunny and it resulted in extreme jealousy and murderous rage :p We have to keep our two separate at all times because Billy get so jealous and territorial that he is a danger to Ronnie :)

It's not at all bad if you end up with two that don't like each other, though. You just have to split your time between two instead of one, and make sure that you have more cages and barriers to keep them separated.

Well it depends. Harper has bitten every bun that came through my house((six, total...)), so I'm pretty sure he's better off alone. He's 'friends' with my dog, though. XD

But I know some buns would very much like a friend. :) Do the 'bunny date' thing and see if she'll accept anyone. XD

I only have one bunny. It's all I can handle with my other animals, and he's a happy bunny.

As far as cats, I have 3 cats & I have more of a problem with Gulliver (the rabbit) going after the cats - he bullies them and they run away from him. I do believe he would bite them if he got the chance, so I'm very careful that doesn't happen.

I have just adopted one rabbit and have also been wondering if he will be happy without a companion. I want to interact with him and play but he doesn't seem that interested... I don't know if it's just because he's still sussing out me and his new surroundings (I only got him 5 days ago).

crystal wrote:
I have just adopted one rabbit and have also been wondering if he will be happy without a companion. I want to interact with him and play but he doesn't seem that interested... I don't know if it's just because he's still sussing out me and his new surroundings (I only got him 5 days ago).
Mine acted hte same way, its a tad overwhelming for him :)

He will come around mine bunny did. I'm also wondering about a companion for him. I think i will wait until he settles in before i take him on any play dates :)

I hope he comes around and decides to like people... I still have hope.

even my boyfriend said last night "he just rabbits around... he doesn't seem interested in people" haha

We have two bunnys, both boys and from the same litter, so I am hoping as they get older (& after neutering!) they will be buddies. They were separated for about a week (sex mix up and return of a bunny - long story!), and were a bit funny together for a couple of days, but then came right and were grooming each other and enjoying each others company - Astro was quite cautious when we first got him but he is now full of confidence, always trying to leap out of the hutch when you open the lid!!! So CUTE!

mine prefer to be on there own, 3 grumpers well troy and toffe pur in love but that only coz troy new something we didnt, i am saving to get trot done so they can frolic in the run together :)but they are fine on there own

My bunny, Toot, started off as a lone bunny. She always got lots of attention and there are other pets around as well. After a difficult bonding with another rabbit, they ended up getting along great and were excellent companionship for each other. Unfortunately Pete passed away recently and she has been much more needy ever since. She still seems happy, but I feel she was more content with the constant companionship that only another rabbit can offer. We plan to bond her with another bunny and have two again at some point... perhaps things will work out with our current foster bunny, which we'd all be happy with.
Personally, I feel a rabbit can be happy either way, but it's impossible with our busy lifestyles to truly replace a rabbit companion.

I have four and they couldnt be happier. I took the less popular approach of just putting the new guy in the cage and keeping an eye on them. This would not work well with most buns but mine all seemed to just not care that there is a new guy there.

Latest posts

Back