Do rabbits get sick a lot?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeAndB44

Reaction score
I was just wondering if rabbits are generally healthy animals or if they get sick real often??

I guess I'm just overly paranoid because this site has taught me so much about bunnies and I've grown very attached to my little bun. I spend a lot of time in the infirmary because my rabbit's eye isn't 100% at the moment and I'm scared she's going to like die on me or something.

Ah I've got to stop worrying so much, anyway, there's my last question. I'll check back in the morning.

Night everyone!

It really depends on the bunny. Hazel is 7 now, and has only ever been "sick" once (with GI stasis). Oh, yes, when she was spayed at 2 years old, they did find pre-cancerous lesions in her uterus, and she was bleeding a bit, which is why we had her spayed. So I guess that's 2 times.
I wouldn't call that real often :).

White Chocolate seemed to get GI slow-down about once a year, but after the first time, we knew what do do to get her through that. It was mainly at a time of a big moult, so too much hair I guess. That still doesn't count as often, I'd say.

On the other hand, there are some on here who have bunnies that seem to need constant vet care.

Storm is pretty healthy except for his GI slow down. He get it about once every four to six month Knock on wood we have not had a surprise case in a while.

He seems to be coming around but I know the signs and how to take care of it now. Other then that he has good teeth and stuff I know a lot of members have problems with teeth.

I think the main four things are

Sore Hocks
Teeth Issues
GI Track Issues
Poopy butt normally from worms or something they got into to.

As Hilde said, it depends on the bunny. My two girls are 6 and have always been very healthy. I've had my foster Snowball for 18 months and she has never been sick. On the other hand, we have a number of rescues that seem to be at the vet constantly.

In my opinion, I don't think it's as much them being sick more often as much as it is about the lack of proper treatment and the complications involved. I mean, rabbit veterinarians can be sparse in many areas and even though some may treat rabbits, they don't necessarily know the best methods. Bunnies are fragile, especially with meds and when not given proper treatment there are often complications which can arise from something relatively simple. Veterinarians are still learning themselves, and rabbit care is evolving so I am hoping that it will eventually be much easier to treat a sick bunny :)

Latest posts

Back