Do other buns enjoy this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adorable! No, my girls wouldn't dream of falling asleep in my arms period, They will sometimes doze off on my chest as we are stretched out watching tv together but that's about it.

Holding rabbits on their backs causes them to go into a trance. There is some debate about whether rabbits actually enjoy this or whether they're temporarily paralyzed as a prey instinct. Either way, it's used by bun owners as an easy way to trim nails, check teeth, and make sure their bottoms are clean. :)

I used to do this with my first rabbit. It's called trancing. In more recent years, I've also heard that it is now believed that this could be harmful. As whiskeylollipop said, there is controversy surrounding trancing. Some think it's perfectly fine, others don't.

Here is an article about it:
[FONT=&quot]http://www.hopperhome.com/trancing_rabbits.htm [/FONT]

The rescue told me how much she enjoyed this. I'm shocked that they wouldn't pass this down to a first time owner? Hmmm...I'll have to do more research. She loves being held in any form, so I never considered it dangerous since I've never come across it. I'll take down the pics. :(

The pics are gone. I don't want anyone to think I'm hurting her because I sure didn't mean to. Can somebody remove the thread?

Last edited:
No reason for you to remove the photos like that. We keep threads here for educational purposes. That is the same reason we do not allow edits.

It is not a dangerous act at all.
You are not forcing an unwilling animal into a position they do not like.
Theres a difference between an animal peacefully falling asleep on their back in your arms and being forced into the position then scared into staying.

No reason for you to remove the photos like that. We keep threads here for educational purposes. That is the same reason we do not allow edits.

It is not a dangerous act at all.
You are not forcing an unwilling animal into a position they do not like.
Theres a difference between an animal peacefully falling asleep on their back in your arms and being forced into the position then scared into staying.

Thanks for some reassurance. I just felt horrible that I thought she was feeling comfortable and loved, and instead she was possibly terrified? I guess I'll have to come to my own conclusions since some Googling has me even more confused. I just don't want anyone to think that I'm encouraging it since I'm a new owner and still very much learning.

I personally don't think it's dangerous per se, stressful maybe, but not injurious. It can be very difficult to do your necessary bunny checks and nail trims without turning them over, so all in all, it's the lesser of two evils. I use it on my bunnies weekly for checks and monthly for nail trims, but always make sure I keep them on their backs for as short a time as possible.

On further examination, I think Bella is just weird. She does the same cuddle and "doze" thing on my chest with her head up. She just likes being held securely against us. Just to be safe, though, I might as well just have her on her back while doing nails and other necessary hygiene issues.

Thank you, everyone, I can't imagine how clueless I would have been if I hadn't spent so much time here the last couple of weeks. Even though I read a rabbit "book." Bella thanks you, as well.

Lucky you, you have a cuddle bun! Ours hate being held, in any way.

Besides health, that was one of our first considerations when we went to the rescue. Now that my kids are getting older, I need something else in my arms. She is slightly overweight from her previous home, though, so I need to make sure she has lots of playtime, too.

I think you are doing a great job and Bella is obviously settling in with you if she does cuddle up to you she must feel safe. This is a great place to ask and learn everything bunny and it's all a wonderful learning curve. I don't often turn mine over, only to check certain things and never for long. You're doing a great job :)

I think you are doing a great job and Bella is obviously settling in with you if she does cuddle up to you she must feel safe. This is a great place to ask and learn everything bunny and it's all a wonderful learning curve. I don't often turn mine over, only to check certain things and never for long. You're doing a great job :)

I'm sure if she didn't like it you'd know! I have one bun that rather enjoys being held and he will sit in this position for nail trimmings etc. My other bun, however, absolutely hates it! She refuses to be "flipped" and will NOT stay still. Bunny burrito is my only option for her. Though she likes being picked up and cuddled, providing she is held properly and in a way that would allow her to jump down whenever she pleases :) Bella is a cutey! I didn't get chance to see the pictures of her asleep in your arms :(

I'm sure if she didn't like it you'd know! :(

Not so, at least not according to those who have found trancing to be a bad idea. The idea (if you read that article I linked) is that a rabbit appears to be in a relaxed state but is rather in a state of tonic immobility. I've read that some rabbits have actually died of heart attack from this.

Personally, I am on the fence about trancing. It wasn't my intention to judge or guilt the OP. It sounds like she has a real cuddle bun. As watermelons said, this forum is about education and I was simply adding a link that explains the 'controversial' side of trancing.

People can make their own judgement as to the validity or non-validity of it.

After I just posted, I went back to re-read that article I linked. I noticed it also has 2 other links to articles that I had not looked at before (shame on me). Those articles discuss TI (tonic immobility) in rabbits. For those who are familiar with her, it is Anne McBride who cautions against trancing in those 2 articles. Just FYI. :)

The rescue told me how much she enjoyed this. I'm shocked that they wouldn't pass this down to a first time owner? Hmmm...I'll have to do more research. She loves being held in any form, so I never considered it dangerous since I've never come across it. I'll take down the pics. :(

The pics are gone. I don't want anyone to think I'm hurting her because I sure didn't mean to. Can somebody remove the thread?

I'd love to see the photos... can you repost them?

Vanessa

Not so, at least not according to those who have found trancing to be a bad idea. The idea (if you read that article I linked) is that a rabbit appears to be in a relaxed state but is rather in a state of tonic immobility. I've read that some rabbits have actually died of heart attack from this.

Personally, I am on the fence about trancing. It wasn't my intention to judge or guilt the OP. It sounds like she has a real cuddle bun. As watermelons said, this forum is about education and I was simply adding a link that explains the 'controversial' side of trancing.

People can make their own judgement as to the validity or non-validity of it.

The bunny grooming lady in November tried to 'trance' Lady to trim her nails as she had a nail that was half broken and we needed to look at it. Glad to see if Lady was a human she wouldn't be able to be hypnotized or tranced either...

Just when the woman said see she's in a trance.. I could see Lady was NOT 'tranced' she looked side to side and BIT the crap out of the woman and ran off we had to chase her down the hall way to stop her from getting to the dog grooming area. Cheeky girl.

Then the woman tried AGAIN. Same reaction.
FINALLY the third time the woman gave up. Was it the three bites?
Was it the fact she could not be tranced? Was the woman just hard headed?

I have no idea but thought it was funny Lady 'acted' for a few seconds like she was tranced so the woman would loosen her hold on her so she could bite her and run out of her lap.. so I know she has done this before..btw
we never did get her nails done..

Vanessa

Last edited:
Blue Eyes, I'd just like to add that I don't often trance my buns (only for nail trimmings and only for Dope) and that I suppose you're right if the rabbit is tranced, you wouldn't know if they like it or not. I was trying to convey how mine completely HATES it and so it's impossible to put her in that position. Throughout that reaction, I can see the dislike.
But yes you are completely right, if the rabbit is tranced before they struggle you wouldn't know at all if they liked it or not.

I'm going to read through those articles you linked, they sound like a good read. I actually didn't know the details of a trance, it was just advice that was given on here for nail trimming. I didn't realise there was such a debate over this procedure. Maybe the bunny burrito should be the way for Dope as well as Dog in the future!

Latest posts

Back