Do other bunnies guard?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beelzebunny

Reaction score
I mentioned in my introduction yesterday that Conker was on guard outside the room I was working in.

He does this a lot - some times positioning himself on the threshold of the room rather than coming in with me.

When there's a noise near the front door, he sits in the hallway, bolt upright, ears erect.

Yesterday I was in my sitting room and listening to Winton Marsalis. Conker clearly doesn't share my taste in music, but rather than keeping well away he came into the room and sat watching myCD playerwith one ear pointing in that direction and the other pointing in mine, very alert and sniffing.

Do other people's bunnies do this? Is this a male behaviour? Does it mirror bunny behaviour in nature?

I'd love to know more about it.

Helen

My bunnies 'guard' at the top of my stairs....they have the run of the house but have chosen a specific spot to sit in right at the top of the stairs where they can see down the stairs and into the front hallway and also see the landing area and all the upstairs rooms....

My buck seems to be on guard far more than the doe - she sits in this location but she's more casual - the buck sits with ears up and he is the one who sits on the edge of the stairs normally - maybe he's guarding her...strange isn't it?

Mocha, one of my girls, guards the bunny room. She'll lay down on the bunny room side of the door, just past where the carpet changes, and watch everything in the living room.

Love the username!:devil

Here's Scooter guarding her sleeping daddy.

attachment.php

i just absolutely love this picture,just look at her face,she really means business

*im warning you.................stay away*:laugh:

attachment.php

*hes mine......................all mine...mine..mine..mine*lol

Shorty guards all of the hay and pellets. I guess to be SURE the cat doesn't get to it :?

I'm just speculating, so don't take this as fact, but I do think it's likely an instinct for rabbits and probably moreso in males. I'm thinking in the wild, it's part of the male's job to guard the burrow/warren (or whatever you call it, lol). It seems logical that our bunnies will do that to an extent with their 'areas.' :)

My bunnies don't really do that much, but they are both females. They tend to just lay down, relaxed, next the wall/baseboard.

Back