Do my rabbit got urinal problems?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Hi!

I got a female rabbit on about 2 years, i have just noticed that there are a flour like layer after she have urinated. She is not pregnant because I don�t have a male rabbit. I just wonder if this is normal? she looks healty.

Thx for any given answers -TNS

She may be having calcium build up and what you are seeing is probably sludge.

What is she eating? Take a look at the calcium content of your pellets and veggies. You may have to try switching to a lower calcium feed and watching the veggies you feed.

If you do switch foods, make sure to do it gradually so you don't upset her tummy.

--Dawn

aurora369 wrote:
She may be having calcium build up and what you are seeing is probably sludge.

What is she eating? Take a look at the calcium content of your pellets and veggies. You may have to try switching to lower calcium feed and watching the veggies you feed.

If you do switch foods, make sure to do it gradually so you don't upset her tummy.

--Dawn

Thx for you reply
Can it be thatigive her rolled oats and rye everyday.

I checked rolled oats had no calcium but rye had 0,25g on 100g, isn't that a bit to little for her to being bale to build up?

Hello! Welcome to the forum! :)

I don't have any advice to lend, sorry...but I wanted to pop in and say hi and welcome! :D

Rosie*

Thank you masher, :colors:

aurora369 wrote:
What else do you feed her?

What is the nutritional content of her pellets? What type of hay? What type of veggies?

Check out some of the information in our Bunny 101 section:
Feeding your Bunny:http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12046&forum_id=17
Pellets:http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12160&forum_id=17
Vegetables:http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=13618&forum_id=17

--Dawn

I haven't given my rabbit any pellets on a while, i have hard to believe it could be to much calcium because nothing as i know which i give her contains much calcium, are there no outer explanation who are possible?

Hi,

I found some articles on sludge in rabbit urine,

http://www.rabbit.org/health/urolith.html
http://www.ontariorabbits.org/health/healthinfo4.htm

How much water is your bunny drinking? Can you try to encourage her to drink more?

I'm not exactly the best educated in sludgy urine, so maybe some one with experience could step in and help.

I think I'm going to move this to the infirmary for you, where some one else may be able to answer your questions better.

--Dawn

Great idea, aurora...I'm sure someone there will be able to help. :)

What hay and what vegetables do you feed the bunny? Do you give her anything besides oats and rye?

Random, anyway it just seems that she had slagging she did it outside her cage, but i think it is ok now, but i am still not sure from what the calcium source would be.

Anyway thx all for the given replies :elephant:, they were helpful i am no longer worried :).

TheNaturalStep wrote:
Random, anyway it just seems that she had slagg when she didit outside her cage, but i think it is ok now, but i am still not sure from what the calcium source would be.

Anyway thx all for the given replies :elephant:, they were helpful i am no longer worried :).
Random as in what types of vegetables? Some vegetables have a high calcium content and should not be fed. A rabbits diet should consist of unlimited amounts of timothy hay, as well as oat hay, brome hay, and orchard grass. A rabbit should ALWAYS be fed quality rabbit pellets daily. Oat and rye should not be a large part of the diet, it should only be an occasional treat.

Is the oat and rye the rabbit's main diet? Hopefully not, as that is nowhere near a suitable diet for a rabbit.

I asked what kind of HAY you feed because Alfalfa Hay has more calcium than Timothy Hay - so the type of hay is important in figuring out if your bunny is getting too much calcium.

Same with the vegetables. Vegetables like spinach, collards,kale all have high calcium content and can also contribute to the sludge in your bunnies urine.

Since you asked about the flour like layer to the urine - I thought I would help you to figure it out. Sorry if it seemed random...:dunno:

Intresting, i didn't knew there exsisted different kinds of hay, i will look in to this when i return from school.

Thx for your replies - TNS

I found this in one of the articles from the HRS of Miami....

"All rabbits normally excrete excess calcium and oxalate salts via the urinary tract, and the residue of normal urine will often appear"chalky"."
by Dana Krempels, Ph.D.
University of Miami Biology Department
House Rabbit Society of Miami

As pointed out above, it is normal for rabbits to excrete large amounts of calcium in their urine.The urine may appear pasty white and a buildup of calciummay benoted on the cage pans or litter box.

Pam

Latest posts

Back