Do doe's peck at their dewlaps when they are being carried?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Must_Love_Pets

Reaction score
Bertha does not mind being handled or picked up what so ever. However since this is my first Doe with a HUGE dewlap at that, I am not sure what this means. She tries to cuddle you when you pick her up at the same time she vigerously pokes at her dewlap. It almost appears that she is trying to bite you but her dewlap is in the way. However when the dewlap IS moved out of the way she stops. So common sense tells me she just wants it out of her way only when being held? This is odd. Is there aspecial way to hold does that I am not aware of? I mean they cuddle their own dewlaps when they are resting so it can't be that it is uncomforatble, can it? Do I flop that thing out of the way when picking her up? LOL She just wants to cuddle you when held. I love it but this is very wierd to see her do.

I wonder if it is a nervous habbit of some sort? Houdini will bite at his fur under his chin (where a dew lap would be) when I'm brushing him, but he doesn't have a dew lap. He only does it when I'm grooming, not petting. It is much worse if I'm brushing his legs than if I'm just brushing the top. :dunno

my doe will do that too. so sometimes I just hold her like a baby on her back while holding her ears. Its just like how u examin ur rabbit at a show, just in ur arms, not on the table.

I am going to try that when I get home after work. I have tried holding her like a babuy like I have all my other rabbits yet. I didnt want to stress her ut too much her first day. I will let you know if this works better for us both :biggrin2:
Thank you Dutchlover

I've had does do that and even Zeus does that when he's upset at me....

I wouldn't worry.

Okay thank you Peg.

What I meant to say above was that I have NOT tried holding her like a baby yet. I did not want to stress her out although it seems impossible. She does not seem to mind anything, noises, other animals, being pawed at by 20 kids. She just sits there with eyes and body completely relaxed. I think she is use to all of this. LOL

I'm wondering if her dewlap is so huge that it bothers her. I'M NOT RECOMMENDING THIS.....but I remember reading somewhere about a rabbit that needed to undergo dewlap reduction surgery.

Latest posts

Back