Do bunnies hiccup?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravishing

Reaction score
Every now and then penny will be laying on her tummy with all of her paws nice and stretched out and then all of a sudden her head will start to "bob" like a hiccup with about 3 seconds between each "bob"... is this normal?

Yesterday we were lying on the floor together and I noticed she started doing it. She let me pet her from the crown of her head all the way to mid back about a few times while it was happening and then it stopped. She stayed in the same position after it stopped and just looked at me..

Is this normal?

What does this behavior mean? and what triggers it?

How is it different from a seizure?

Is it true bunnies can't through up? I was worried maybe something was stuck in her throat...

i have no idea if its good or not, i have personally wondered this myself, 3 out of my 5 rabbits have experienced hiccups, but a trend i've noticed is its only when they are young. as they got older it stopped. and they'd always do it stretched out with their back feet out, laying on their bellies with their front paws stretched out in a total relaxation position. it doesn't seem to concern them????

hope its normal, the ones that "grew oout of it" don't seem to have any side effects...

sorry i didn't have an answer....

I haven't seen the adults do it but the kits get hiccups. Especially a 3week old we have right now. She's done it 4 or 5 times now for 10-15mins at a time. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with health.

2 of my adult buns have done this a couple of times...their healthy so yea i guess they can get hiccups..and hiccups are WAYYYy different then seizures...uve obviously have had hiccups before right?...have u ever seen a person have a seizure?..it aint pretty.....my best friend had seizures all the time.
a hiccup is like an uncontrollable spasm in ur tummy.
seizures are like an electrical misfire in ur brain.

and ur right, they cant vomit..

I actually posted about this about a year ago, but I called it a "choking" sound. Mine did this for about 8 months, and has not done it again. Makes no sense, lol.:p

My bunnies all hiccupped when they were little. My human kids did too the first few months of their lives. I think it must be normal. My sister's puppy used to do it too. I never worried about it ( maybe because I didn't think it was any different than other creatures who were new to the planet, new to breathing) anyway, I'm glad other people answered because I have no idea lol like I said I thought it was normal.:confused2:

Latest posts

Back