Dislike for HAY

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylove7782

Reaction score
Its so surprising and alarming that my 2 bunnies Ruby and Rex have stooped eating HAY all of a sudden...We gave them pellets upon the vetz suggestion for their intital mass increase ...but to our big dismay they have lost all their interest in HAY which was their favourite once :(
Is this possible? hey are too young to be fed right now on greens r vegies..Both r less than 4 mnths !! What are we supposed to do now??Plz any suggestions on why this could have hapened?:?

What amount of pellets are you giving? If you are giving a lot, they might be filling up on pellets and not wanting hay.
Even though they are still young, you can cut back on the pellets to encourage them to eat more hay. I would not cut back too much, but maybe only 1/2 a cup each a day. You can also try only giving pellets once a day and have hay available all the time. That why when they are done the pellets they will have hay.
Also, if you just started pellets, they are still a new thing. It may take a bit of time for the novelty to wear off and them to go back to eating more hay.

We give them only few pellets each per day ...and make HAY available 24/7..But the hay is left untouched..we are just left pondering now!!

Baby bunnies should have unlimited hay and pellets until they are about 7 months. They've got a lot of growing to do!

bunnylove7782 wrote:
We do understand unlimited hay, what we learn is unlimited pellets could cause obesity!! Is that true :?
No, not true :) If they were always fed unlimited pellets, yes, but while they are babies, up until that 6-7 month point, they need the extra energy.

ETA- I use rabbit.org as my source for most of my information, RO has a lot of good stuff in their Care section as well.

Tday we started radish top and they relished it :bunnieskiss , we wanted to check how their poop is and then continue with it.

We also got some mowed grass from a garden nearby. Washed and rinsed it thoroughly, will try that for them...last time i tried and they seem to like it. Hope they get all their nourishment :running bunny

:bunny19

we fed my babies pellets and a couple of handfuls of alfalfa hay (they didn't like timothy) until recently... Now they are around 6 months, I have been able to give them mix of timothy and alfalfa and hardly no pellets and they eat it all just fine.
I think it's because of their age. Don't worry, look for a good kind of pellet and just make the transition when they are a few months older.

Maybe make certain times of day for pellet and other for hay. Then they aren't so overwhelmed with food, and won't have an option. Like pellets for breakfast, then hay all day and pellets for supper.

I dunno.. seemed to work with my bunnies

we fed my babies pellets and a couple of handfuls of alfalfa hay (they didn't like timothy) until recently... Now they are around 6 months, I have been able to give them mix of timothy and alfalfa and hardly no pellets and they eat it all just fine.
I think it's because of their age. Don't worry, look for a good kind of pellet and just make the transition when they are a few months older.

Maybe make certain times of day for pellet and other for hay. Then they aren't so overwhelmed with food, and won't have an option. Like pellets for breakfast, then hay all day and pellets for supper.

Did you change brands? Scamper does not like the seeded ends of the timothy hay and some kinds we have tried that's all there is in the bag. He seems to do better with orchard grass and I recently bought a huge bag of timothy that hasn't seeded out yet, he loves it.

Did you change brands? Scamper does not like the seeded ends of the timothy hay and some kinds we have tried that's all there is in the bag. He seems to do better with orchard grass and I recently bought a huge bag of timothy that hasn't seeded out yet, he loves it.

Yes, the first one we gave them was timothy with dandelion flowers, they just loved it; later we changed to timothy without dandelion flowers..they just did not touch them. So next day we again got the first one...now they are not liking it @ all :expressionless.

We are not just giving them a variety of all :) lamo

Latest posts

Back