Disciplining House Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarperBun

Reaction score
So Harper is a biter. She did this before she got fixed and now she has started doing it again three months later. I can be minding my own business and she will hop up on me and scratch like she has to potty and bite me. She will act like she wants to snuggle and bite me. Basically if I am around her she will bite me. I have tried telling her NO in a firm voice, squealing, patting her head when she does it and even pushing her head down, but she fights back and bites. I just don't even know what to do anymore. She gets all the attention in the world and exercises every day. She has bunches of toys in her condo too.

Any advice?

You could try lightly tapping her on the bum?

She's just a little beastie! Yet, she can be so loving at times. She licked my face this morning for 10 minutes straight while she got snuggled and pets and loves.

You need to give the techniques more time to work. As suggested in your other threads, loud clap, squeal and/or push her head down and hold are very good things to do to decrease negative behaviour. It definitely isn't a quick fix. Is she making you bleed when she bites you? If not, she is either trying to get you to move, trying to get your attention of trying to groom you. If she's making you bleed, then you are doing something she hates. Pay attention to her ear position and body language the next few times she bites you. Ear position is their way of communication. I would check out the website, the language of Lagomorphs. It helps you understand what your bunny is trying to tell you.

Thanks Blue eyes, that's the website I was referring to, couldn't remember the address:)

Harper looks like such a cute bunny, can you post a bigger picture :D

That rabbitspeak site is the best thing ever!! So much great information!

I bite back...

Honestly, people seem to want their rabbit(s) to exhibit non rabbit like behavior. Biting each other is just their "pecking" order and it won't matter that you took the animal to vet for sexual realignment or not. I don't honestly see how that solves anything. The Baron nips once in a while but nothing I would consider to cause excessive pain or discomfort.

I am not trying to upset you or anyone else on this forum, but I had a "crazy" aunt who had a black french poodle of the small toy breed. She would paint the dogs toenails pink, tied ribbons in its ears, and gave it the name Renae. When the dog died she would get exactly the same make and model and named it Renae. I believe I was told she had 4 to 6 of them in her lifetime. But she treated the animal as if it were human and understood what she was saying. All the poor animal knows or cares about is the extra weird large care provider is not abusive to them.

Latest posts

Back