Discharge?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say yes, continue to feed at least some pellets. Maybe not free-feed, but a few tablespoons will help. Otherwise she won't be getting the vitamins and energy she needs to get through this. Just hay is pretty much a starvation diet. Some vets like to use it for diarrhea issues, but I agree with mine who is very much against that.He said if you can't feed pellets due to a health issue, you have to feed lots of veggies but the sudden change can just make more problems. And since she's so young, lots of veggies could easily make Moo Moo more sick.

I would be hesitant to use apple juice unless you diluted it with water - I think pedialyte is MUCH MUCH better. I use either grape or fruit flavored pedialyte with my rabbits. Now, I can see spritzing some hay with a bit of apple juice...but I just think apple juice could maybe give her diaherrea (I know it gives me diaherrea).

As far as the canned pumpkin goes - we can get it any time of the year here in the states. I usually find it in the part of the grocery store where I find other canned pie stuff.

Make sure it is canned pumpkin ONLY - not "canned pumpkin pie filling". She doesn't need the additional spices, etc. from the filling one.

By the way, you may want to take the canned pumpkin and fill up ice cube trays with it. Once it is frozen, pop the cubes out of the trays and put them in a freezer bag and put them back in the freezer and you have "portions" of pumpkin for future emergencies!

When I have to use pumpkin with my rabbits I like to mix it 50/50 with either baby food or pedialyte or even both...in which case I try to have 1/3 of each.

Peg

Pancakes wrote:
Thanks for the adviceguys! we're planning to head out and get some pedialyte and some applejuicetomorrow. Iwas also told that baby food mightwork too? If so what types?I'm not sure if the pumpkin willbe available this time of year for us.In terms of the pelets,we were told by the vet to remove them for the time being....so weshould be feeding her the pelets too? Its so overwhelming!

sarah and jeff

so we went to the grocery store and realized that the only pumpkin available to us would have been the spiced pumpkin filling....so we grabed some of the pedialyte and baby food.....tried mixing the peidialyte and the baby food with the meds in a 6cc syringe and wrapping her up in the towel....she was still pretty unresponsive to the treatment, actually it seemed like she liked the yogurt much more.....i know we were told to stay away from that, so do u think she may drink it herself out of a dish in her cage? some of her poops have firmed up a bit, but she still seems to have the irregular larger wet looking ones too :(

Just an update...unfortunately Moo moo is no longer responding to taking the meds at all....shes so spooked :(!Anytime she sees me or Jeffapproach her cage she freaks out and starts to run.....now when we get her out and wrapped in the towel she wont even let us put the syringe in her mouth....and when we get it in thereshe refuses to swollow or lick up any of the pedialyte....we tried the yogurt again today hoping she liked that better, but we still had no luck.....we're thinking of maybe mixing it in a dish with something and hoping she ingests it on her own...we don't want her to become more stressed than she already is, but its so fustrating! She needs her meds to get better:(

Her poops haven't changed, they're still coming out irrgeular...we did some more reasearch and saw that it might take up to two weeks for her to be back to her fiesty self, but we're so concerned about getting her to take her meds......We don't want her to hate us, but she seems pretty scared, even with lots of head scruffs, baby talk, kisses and hugs.......any ideas guys? I tried the spoon thing, but i think shes so spooked as it is that she just wont open her mouth...we have a very stubborn bun lol.......

Have you tried putting something like applesauce or baby food in a little dish and seeing if she will take itthat way?

I wish you could get pumpkin, my kids will eat that off a spoon. I wonder if you ground up some of her pellets and mixed the meds in that way if she would eat it off a spoon or out of her dish?

Good news guys! What we ended up doing was mixing a little baby food with the meds and some pedialyte to water it down in a spoon, and leaving it in her cage....After a couple of sniffs, and making sure no one was looking she ate it on her own!:)Now she can't wait until she sees the spoon coming, and at least she doesn't get scared as much anymore.....We haven't seen any significant change in her manerisms yet, but hopefully she's getting better....we're just glad shes taking the meds now. Thank you all for your help...we'll keep you posted on her condition!! :bunnydance:

Yay! That's great that she's taking her meds all on her own! What a relief.

Wildfire is like that when she tries something new. I have to leave it in the cage for a few minutes and not watch her, that's the only way she'll try something new. I guess they just don't want to be embarassed.

Keep us posted on how she's doing. Is she still eating and pooping well? Has she been having any more funny discharge?

--Dawn

Back