Discharge?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pancakes

Reaction score
Hello RO,

I have a 3 1/2 month doe holland lop and today inoticed some type of discharge coming from her rear. We moved her into a spare cage because she is starting to hump our other doe:(.She is eating pellets and hay like normal. My wife and i took her out to play and she peed on the mat, we cleaned that up and then some white, yellowish stuff came out after. It looks like human snot!! I dont know what this is, I was wondering if anyone has had this before. Also her poops are very very bigand sometimes wet? She does poop on a regular basis.

Thanks,

Jeff N Sarah

I've never heard of this before.

I would be very concerned and making a vet appointment as soon as possible.

The only thing I can think of is an infection in her uterus or bladder.

--Dawn

She definately needs a vet trip.

What are her poops like- are they wet? Could this be mucous from her intestines? That's usually a sign of GI upset. If it's not from the intestines, I'd be worried about uterine or bladder problems.

I hope she's okay.:pray:

naturestee wrote:
She definately needs a vet trip.

What are her poops like- are they wet? Could this be mucous from her intestines? That's usually a sign of GI upset. If it's not from the intestines, I'd be worried about uterine or bladder problems.

I hope she's okay.:pray:
Well the thing is some of here poops are wet and big. Some of them are regular (hard and small). She is eating everying as normal, but i noticed that now she is bumed since we seperated her from the other doe. I have only seen this once so far. How could i be sure that is from her intestines?

Excess mucous being expelled generally indicates intestinal irritation which can be caused by a virus, bacteria,parasites, dietor an inherited condition affecting the nerve ending of the intestines. This problem has been linked to the broken marking gene in cases where the rabbit has inherited the gene from each parent. In these cases, the condition can be chronic, but diet can help to control it. If the rabbit pictured in your avatar is the rabbit with the problem, this could be a consideration. I see the condition more frequently in Dwarf Hotots, but it can occur in Lops.

The first step to determining the problemis to have the vet do a fecal exam.

Pam

Are the wet poops cecotropes (cecals)?They look like bunches of grapes. These are normal, except usually the rabbit eats them right away. If she's leaving extra around, she might have a problem with her diet.

But because of the mucous that your finding, she really does need a vet visit. Bring in a sample of both types of poop so your vet can test them.

The night poops i dont usually see, just the regular poops. Maybe when i get home i can post some pics,maybe that may help? In the mean time i need to find a savvy vet for my girl!!!

She needs to go to a vet asap - it's irritation of the intestines (mucus and mis-formed poop)

She needs to get metronaidazole to help the inflammation.

Also this is a pre-cursor to gut stasis so she needs to see a vet asap.

I have one that this is completely normal for her as it is a chronic thing and she is 4 years old now....but she always has mis-shapen stool and jelly poo. It's best to make sure it's acute vs chronic and then you will know where to go from there.

Hi Pancakes, I go the the Links Road Animal Clinic at Yonge/401 - they are great. I have also been to the Willowdale Animal Hospital at Kennedy/Finch - they are also pretty good. There is also one I know of on Danforth/Pape area.

There are a number of rabbit vets in Toronto - PM me if you need any more help finding one.

Rabbit Hutch wrote:
She needs to go to a vet asap - it's irritation of the intestines (mucus and mis-formed poop)

She needs to get metronaidazole to help the inflammation.

Vitamin E can also be helpful in treating intestinal inflammation.

Pam

hey everyone,

Thanksfor all of your concern and advice. We took Moo Moo to the vet on Friday, and were told that she has some type of GI track infection-which is what we all suspected! He told us that it could be one of two possible infections, but he wasn't able to deciper which one it was, so we have her on two different types of pills. Also, he recommended plain yogurt to help build up good bacteria in her system.and to hide the taste of the icky pills with!!

We tried administering the medicine via the yogurt as per the vets advice, however Moo moo at first was very unresponsive....it ended up being a yogurt covered bunny mess!!! The second time we tried she responded a bit better...but still seems pretty resistant....We are giving it to her via a syrnge given to us by the vet...we also tried putting it in a dish in her cage for her to eat herself.....we were wondering if anyone else has any suggestions as to what we can do....we're keeping our fingers crossed that the treatment works, as the vet said the infection may be too far along to treat:(Any ideas on getting moo moo back to proper health, and making her more comfortablewould be really appricated!! Our poor girl seems so bummed....and she seems very bloated as well:(

I know you guys suggested vitamin E, is there anything else that may help? We've completely eliminated pelets from her diet for the time being.....But we would be greatful for any other tricks of the trade that could be suggested!!

Thanks so much,

Sarah and Jeff

Poor little bun! First, I would recommend feeding her pellets. She needs the vitamins, and it's really hard to give her a balanced diet without pellets.They are plain pellets with no treats, right? Make sure you give her lots of grass hay such as Timothy too.

Instead of yogurt, which she may not be able to digest well (rabbits usually become lactose intolerant after they are weaned), you can give her Benebac- found in pet stores- or Acidophilus, which you can get made for humans at drug stores.

You can crush up the pills and put them in canned pumpkin, flavored Pedialyte, sugar free apple sauce, or sugar free juice.Whatever she likes, just try not to give her too much sugar.

The most important thing is to keep her eating and drinking, and make sure she's still urinating and pooping.

If she seems bloated, try giving her gentle tummy rubs and baby gas meds (Simethicone).
:pray:

I would also try to get some pedialyte inher. Dehydration is a big danger with any tummy problems. My buns love the flavoured stuff and think it's a treat...

Does the vet possible have the medicine in liquid form? I've never done the pills before, but I have been able to sryinge the liquid stuff pretty easily.

When you get the syringe in her mouth, you have to get the syring in past her front teeth. If you can squirt a little bit into her cheek pockets and then let her swallow is a good way.

--Dawn

Thanks for the advice guys! we're planning to head out and get some pedialyte and some apple juicetomorrow.Iwas also told that baby food might work too? If so what types?I'm not sure if the pumpkin will be available this time of year for us.In terms of the pelets, we were told by the vet to remove them for the time being....so we should be feeding her the pelets too? Its so overwhelming!

We tried asking to get the medicine in liquid form but it wasn't available. We aren't even sure really how much of the pills shes taking in whenmixing it with the yogurt, because the pills are so tiny!! Once they've been crushed up its hard to average the acutal amount that she ingests, against the amount thatends upon her fur!In terms of handling her, she's never been to enthusiastic about it! We wrap her in a towel when we give her the medicine but shestill trys to squirm.Are there any tips u can give us to help ease the stress of being lifted up multiple times during the day? We're giving her as much love as we can...lots of head scruffs, and kisses and petting but she runs anytime she sees us coming near her cage now.

Thanks for all the care and concern!!:D

sarah and jeff

I use banana baby food or banana mixture baby food. I have some that love the banana and berry mixture that is like a dark pink.

Are you using a syringe at all? If so - here is what I do..

I use a 6 cc syringe..so I dissolve pills in 3 cc of fluid (either pedialyte or water). I then add 3 cc of baby food to it and mix it around. Then I put the 6 cc in the syringe and I know they're getting a pretty good dose of it..

Peg

Latest posts

Back