Dirty Water Bottles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmberNBuns

Reaction score
Hello everybody... I know it's been a while sincemy last post. Today I was watching Martha Stewart and a guydid a short segment mentioning how bacteria can build up in your smallanimal's water bottles.

Being a "bunny slave" I am surprised at myself for never thinking about this.

He suggested that you wash out the water bottles every other day withdish soap and a bottle brush. Get under the rubber washer andclean out the threads too. And don't forget to use a smallpipe cleaner type brush to get in the spout from both sides of themetal balls. And rinse VERY WELL...

I checked my buns' water bottles, and they didn't smell bad, but theywere definitely not fresh. After washing them out I noticed abig difference.

I have had rabbits before and never had a problem with their health,but why not give them as fresh of water as you would giveyourself? They say that the bacteria that grows in there canlead to problems like wet tail.

I am interested in what Pam and Buck think about this issue.(Is it a waste of time if you have multitudes of rabbits?)

If you don't have the time to scrub in the morning while taking care ofthings, you could have 2 water bottles and alternate, cleaning theunused one at your leisure.

Who knows, maybe your buns would notice. I am sure they would thank you for it.

My 4-H kids had to listen to the following overand over from me "If you would not drink out of it -- don't make yourrabbit drink out of it !!!).

A tiny amount of bleach (up to 1 tsp. per gallon) can be added to yourrabbits drinking water (even if you have city water). Thisprevents bacteria/algae growth. There is simply no excuse fordirty bottles.

Bleach in auto water systems is a must as the fonts pull bacteria backin and throughout the entire system, potentially exposing every singlerabbit to illness.

Bottles/dishes should be completely bleached andcleaned at least once per week.

Pam

This is a great post - a very good point. It isso easy to just fill up the bottle and not rinse and wash it.I have never thought about using bleach before I would have thought itwasn't safe - Now I know you use it Pam I have no problem with it andwill do it from now on :).

DaisyNBuster wrote:
...I have never thought about using bleach before I wouldhave thought it wasn't safe...
I am sure if you use too much itwould be a bad thing... but like Pam said "up to 1 tsp. pergallon" that's not very much if you are filling one waterbottle. We're talking milliliters here. I would probably justuse a dropper and put in one or 2 drops, depending on the size of yourwater bottle.

Pam,

I have a question. Apollo has allergies. I can't use bleach aroundhim because he starts sneezing. Would it be ok to put in his water? Orshould I just continue washing it everyday like I do now. I use ananti-bacterial dish detergent.

Tina

I mix a 10% bleach/90% water solution and put itin a squirt bottle. When I fill a water bottle, I give it acouple of squirts. Not rocket science measuring, but seems tokeep the algae down. If I note any algae "dots" anywhere inthe bottle, I scrub with soap and water.

I suspect most of you know, but just in case, there is adifference between inside and outside bottles. Outsidebottles are translucent and are more impervious to weather.Inside bottles are clear. It seemed to me that theoutside bottles more effectively combatted algae, but Ireally didn't test that conclusion.

Buck

Excellent, excellent post! If youwouldnt drink out of it, why would you expect them to?

n'uff said!

Cher

i just rince my bottle w/ bleach i dont leave itin the drinking water i dont think i would drink water w/ any bleach init. do you think that is enough to kill the bacteria

If you drink city water, it's treated withchlorine : ) If you have well water, you should be"shocking" it with chlorine periodically.

Scrubbingthe bottle with a diluted bleach mixture once a weekis normally enough to keep the bottle clean. Depending on theparticular water, it may need to be done more frequently. Irecommend using bottled water.

Pam

Back