Dilemma

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SApple

Reaction score
I have 3 cats in addition to my bunny Ellie. Ellis stays in an xpen at night and has free run of most of the house during the day. There is a spot in my dining room were she pees and poops, so I put a box there with hay and litter and she's been using it. One day I caught one of the cats using it. Not wanting that I took it up. Well of course Ellie started going on the carpet again. :grumpy:

Next solution was to block Ellie from the room. That didn't work about very well, she just started going in a new place and the cycle started again.:pssd:

Oddly enough the cat does not appear to be bothering the litter box in the xpen. The other two cats like to go in there and sleep during the day, but not problem cat . I've seen Ellie hop over them to get access to water and her hidey hole box, so they are not preventing her from accessing the litter box in the xpen.

I can't have Ellie peeing on the carpet and I can't keep the cat out of the litter box. What do I do?

It seems the cat is the problem, but it's the rabbit who has been inconvenienced. Do cats use wood pellet litter? If not, I'd use that in the box. Maybe there's something that rabbits like the smell of but cats don't. If so you could add the scent to the box.

Or maybe you'll have to accept the cat's using the rabbit's litterbox as the least problematic choice.

Oops double post. Sorry

So the cat using it isn't a problem. I thought that was a big no no. It doesn't bother me as long as there is no danger to Ellie.

I always thought they shouldn't use each other's either. I don't know why though.

I use clumping litter for my cats and the wood pellets for the rabbits so they know which box to use. I also use the resting bords on the rabbit's boxes to keep them from throwing litter all over.

I wouldn't want my cats to use my buns litterbox, but I dont know about a safety issue unless there was cat poop in the box. I agre to use pellet litter for the bun and regular cat litter for the cats. Getting a litter screen will help, too.

Nelsons_Mom wrote:
I wouldn't want my cats to use my buns litterbox, but I dont know about a safety issue unless there was cat poop in the box. I agre to use pellet litter for the bun and regular cat litter for the cats. Getting a litter screen will help, too.

They already use different litters. I'll have to try the screen.

Latest posts

Back