Digging

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyshizzle

Reaction score
How fast do rabbits dig?

I am making our "dog run" into a "rabbit run" so Rascal can play back there. I was wondering how fast a rabbit can dig in dirt? I don't really want him digging because I don't want him to end up some where I can't get him. The neighbors have dogs and that would be so terrible if he dug back there. I am always going to be watching him back there but I am still worried. I was going to put something on the ground like plastic to cover the dirt but my dad thinks it will be more natural for him to be on the dirt. What do you guys think?

Also, my neighbors are very inconsiderate and their water when they water their plants runs off into our yard and gets into the dog run making the dirt wet. Would wet dirt be a problem for Rascal? Of course he'd probably get super dirty but that's to be expected going outside. It's not too too bad but it's still muddy. I can maybe cover the most muddy areas with brick? We have some brick.

I need to get some chicken wire and stuff but it shouldn't be too much longer before Rascal can run around outside. Except...It's supposed to rain this weekend. =(

Bunnies dig, but if you are there with him and diligent you can guide him to another place to dig. Regarding the mud, they love it. You just have to make sure one the mud dries on your bunny to brush. Their coat doesn't allow mud to adhere so it should come off very simply. Just try not to let him breath in the dust.

But my boys love to dig in their run. I just watch that they don't start digging near the fencing. If he starts digging around the fence for an escape pattern, just pick him up and put him in the center. He'll get it.

Fresh air and outside is such a good experience for bunnies. It's very stimulating mentally and physically. It allows them to "wild" for a short time.

K :)

Maybe you could put plastic along the sides & ends of the run & leave it dirt in the center. That would let Rascal dig, but you'd be able to stop him easier from digging out. You could use the bricks to weight down the plastic where it ends & the dirt begins.

Latest posts

Back