digging in bedding.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishlops

Reaction score
my female, dwarf lop eared bun is really cute. bossy yes, big head yes but all the same i love her. (and my other bun Eyore..)#

the point is... when i put in the mix of hay (and woodshavings for asoftfloor), she growls. i guess its her saying, "get ur paws out its mine!"

2 secounds later she attacks the neat pile of hay. i dont mind. but she digs it out in to the "living area" of her hutch. and it falls out in to the floor for me to sweep up. i dont mind, but it all gets in her food bowl and litter box and water bowl.........

she also digs in her litter box. not when it needs changing. when its just cleanned.

*the reason i posted is that she might be pregnate, and i dont want her digging her kits up and getting them cold/ drowned iin hay/scratched*

and for me and clean the floor

thanks:biggrin2: (could it be her hormones (*sp) she is 5months tonight.)

Are you trying to breed her? Is that why she may be preggers? If so, we may need to move this to the Rabbitry Section for better advice.

Otherwise, I have a bun who has to dig his litter when it's changed, we think he doesn't like the texture of it, cuz after he's used it a couple days he doesn't dig anymore. As far as the bedding, I would get rid of that. In my experience, buns will not litter train if there is bedding in the cage they can conveniently go on.

What kind of woodshavings are you using? Some are unsafe for buns. Have you checked out our library? Pine is bad, not sure which others are too as I don't use them. Maybe eliminate them as well.

My bun also dumps his hay out. Not sure about fixing that unless you get a hanger for the hay. They love to make it their own, I tell ya!;)

im not trying, to breed. like i have asked the vet for her and him to be fixed... he said wait till there 6months, aka feb. but its a maybe, maybe not.
oh she does not go any where, i mean anywhere out side her litter box. i think iots her just making it her own...
i just hope she is not preggers... so you could move it over to the breeding area.... but i guess its up 2 u.
thanks angelnsnuffy
AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Are you trying to breed her? Is that why she may be preggers? If so, we may need to move this to the Rabbitry Section for better advice.

Otherwise, I have a bun who has to dig his litter when it's changed, we think he doesn't like the texture of it, cuz after he's used it a couple days he doesn't dig anymore. As far as the bedding, I would get rid of that. In my experience, buns will not litter train if there is bedding in the cage they can conveniently go on.

What kind of woodshavings are you using? Some are unsafe for buns. Have you checked out our library? Pine is bad, not sure which others are too as I don't use them. Maybe eliminate them as well.

My bun also dumps his hay out. Not sure about fixing that unless you get a hanger for the hay. They love to make it their own, I tell ya!;)

I have a bun who was digging in her litter box and sending it all over her cage. She did this for a little while then stopped. I think sometimes its because I messed her litter box up by changing it.

If you are using pine shavings, make sure they are kiln dried. Kiln dried shavings and pellets have all the toxic oils that are harmful to rabbits baked out.

im using wood shavings. just like sawdust but wood chippings...
thanks. i hope she will growout of it.:biggrin2:

Liffey does the same thing with the digging in fresh carefresh. i ended up getting the deepest cat litter pan i could find that was open on the top of course and putting his litter in that. and he loves it. the sides are too high for him to kick it out all over the place and he has no problem getting his 3lb butt into it either. one of his favorite games is to sprint from the second level and dive into the litter dish. best thing i ever bought him.

mmhh..

*puppy eyes* daaadddyyy... please can u get a lager hutch with a run and that litter box.....please..!!!

lol

thats a good idea.. im goin 2 "get" it. (maybe....)

Latest posts

Back