Digging floor

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jude

Reaction score
My rabbit is 3,5 months old
She started from a week ago to keep on digging the living room's floor when we get her out of her cage
Any opinions of what could be possibly the reason of this behaviour? Like is she lacking of smthin or what?

It is completely natural behaviour. There is nothing wrong with her. Female rabbits have it built in to them to want to dig. You could try to redirect her digging by making a dig box (plastic tub filled with strips of paper) or by making a cardboard digging mat like this one http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/2015/03/11/diy-cardboard-shredding-mat/

Then when she digs on the floor, redirect her to what she's allowed to dig on.

Every single one of my does dig badly when they want mating...as soon as they have been mated they stop and the usually start again when kits are around 5 weeks of age.

I think I'm going to try that mat in the link azerane posted. My Cali is a spayed female but she digs like a nut, and the wrong things of course. When she really gets going it's hard to get her to stop.

True, i have a male rabbit and a female rabbit. The male is spayed/neutured but the female isnt and she digs like crazy

It's completly natural.

I let them have their way, they get digging fits when pregnant or at false pregnancies, sometimes also my buck chimes in, well, now they are turning over my future vegetable garden. Sometimes they build tunnels several meters long, and then, from one day to the next seal the entrance.

When I left my old apartment it took me half a day with spade and shovel to return this Indiana Jones Style Pit Trap Adventure Park back into "just backjard", but it was worth it. They really enjoy living out that urge.

Graue Tunnel.jpg

Latest posts

Back