Digging Box? Potty Training?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secuono

Reaction score
Hey there, I'm new!
I have a new bunny, first time I have owned one(prior I've had Guineas, still do). She, or he, is a Lionhead Lop, she likes to dig from time to time in her hut. I hear people have digging boxes for their bunnies. What are the pros and cons of the following and what else can be used?
kiddie Playsand, rice, plain fertilizer free soil, hay, paper/phone books.

Also, I hear people potty train their buns, how do you do this? I keep her food and water on one side and hut and large tube on the other, she tends to only poo and pee where the food is. If I expand her home and keep the food and water on one side, will she keep going potty over there? Will continually increasing the free space with a potty area teach her or what?
Thanks!

Hello :)Welcome to RO! To potty train, I use a cat box. I use Oxbow Eco straw litter and Yesturays News litter. When the bunny pee's outside the litter box, I would soak it up with a Paper towel and put it in the box. Same with poo. Put it in box. Also put hay in the litter box. They like to go potty where they eat. Do not put food dishes in litter box.

I don't know about digging boxes. I don't use one. Sorry.

Good Luck! :biggrin2:

For Bayou, I had to put hay in his litter box and hang a food bowl over his litter box so he only ate in the litter box. After about 6 months (and a neutering) I put his food bowl on the same side of the cage as the litter box, but further away. I still have to keep the hay in the litter box though. Only put it on one side (I put it at the front, because he only potties in one corner of the litter box.).

But I agree with everything above me, except the soaking up and putting the paper towels in. Bayou thought they were food. :grumpy:

First of all WELCOME to the forum. I don't use a digging box bcuz I don't wanna clean up that mess :) but I have blankets in a small rubber maid tote, cut holes in the sides like a den. and I hear and see my buns digging in it a lot.

As for the potty training I do put food and water over the litter box this has helped a lot, like u in the begining my buns only peed and pooped where they ate. they r much better now and caught on quickly. I also have more litter pans than bunnys and that has made a difference. they still will leave the poo on the floor even when fully potty trained...it just happens...they like giving u gifts :)

This link is what i used to get started...hope it helps :)

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/litter.html#outside-box

What kinda cages, bought or DIY, do you guys have, any pics?

Anothernewsetup909.jpg

Here's mine

Anyone have issues with their buns eating cloth like towels, blankets, other things that shouldnt be eaten?

Here is our little girl. She is a Lionhead Lop, we are not sure if she is really a girl or a boy and she is about 3 months old now.
l_98ee7dc0c79c41cbb8c3247b3ad78ffc.jpg

Here she is eating some Lettuce, she can easily escape, so feeding her is how I got her back into her new home.
l_391093fdeb094873b866f5b873cbd6d3.jpg

Top view.
l_9a14b81ed8d74da188ce631493794342.jpg

Side view. There are 3 floors, one short L shape as the top, then a long middle and a short square corner. This is from just one cube set, it has a few with holes too big, so she is able to escape! :0
l_b7b238c5489046f5b0e13681f455d3f2.jpg

Latest posts

Back