digging and sitting in litterbox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom bunny

Reaction score
ok our sweet blossom is a crazy bunny!We have only had her for a couple weeks but we were able to littertrain her quite easily, but for the last few days blossom has beendigging in her litter box flinging out more than half ofherlitter (we use carefresh) then she sits in her litterbox for fun andthen sometimes she even manages to unhook it and move it to anotherplace....is this normal??? she has a resting place in hercage that she never uses, she really perfers her litterbox torest! but then her footsies get dirty....what arabbit! Also she also poops everyday in her food dish, just afew pellets maybe two or three, is that normal???? Lordybeing a new bunny owner is fun!:? Tracy

blossom bunny wrote:
...but for the last few days blossom has beendigging in her litter box flinging out more than half ofherlitter (we use carefresh) then she sits in her litterbox for fun andthen sometimes she even manages to unhook it and move it to anotherplace....is this normal??? she has a resting place in hercage that she never uses, she really perfers her litterbox torest! but then her footsies get dirty....what arabbit! Also she also poops everyday in her food dish, just afew pellets maybe two or three, is that normal????....

She may be bored. Have you given her any toys, chew sticks,etc. to occupy her time? Does she get out of her cageeveryday for some exercise? Drill a couple of holes in thelitterbox and wire it to the side of the cage to prevent it being movedabout. Sitting in litter not all that unusual.

Dirty feet can be cleaned with a paste of white vinegar and corn starchapplied to soiled area and brushed out. Hydrogen peroxidealso removes stains, as does lemon juice.

Raise food dish, or purchase kind that attachs to the side of the cage, thereby preventing her from using it as a toilet.

Buck.

I recently noticed Bub doing this! He is more likely to do it in the afternoon--he likes to interact with people in the evening.

flings litter, digs in each corner, then flops out in it.

How old is your bun?

Rose

Blossom is almost 4 mo. old, I don't think she isbored, we have a big shoe box in her cage with several holes in it thatshe dives in and out of, we have a couple toliet paper roles in thereand a little cat toy wiffle like ball. She chews on her shoebox all thetime. Great idea about wiring the litterpan down.Sometimes I wonder what our little bunny is thinking! Sheactuall just seems to be having great fun in the litterpan!!thanks for the help guys! Tracy

MyPaulylikes to lounge in thelitterbox too. His best bud Mella strictly uses it for the toilet. Ifhe's laying in it she will only lay next to it to cuddle, not in it.Some rabbits just like it I guess. Mine like to dig too, so I put asmall corner litterbox that attaches to the side of the cage, justabove the box they use for the potty. I put a little litter and mostlyhay in it. They snack on it, and dig in it. The upside is there are nopoopies in it so the mess is pretty easy to clean. It doesn't matterhow many toys I give them, they're diggers. Sometimes you just have toaccomodate their weird preferences.

Emmit loves sitting in his "throne" as we callit. He never gets messy or anything, so it hasn'tbeena problem. He used to move his litter boxaround a lot too, but then we realized it was because he was trying toshow us where he wanted to keep it...and it has stayed in his "spot"ever since. Every once and a while he'll shove it around whenhe gets mad at us or something (but it's nothing a bunch of pets won'tcure!)

Hope this helps.

-Carrie

Same story here.Sebastian loves his litter box too. Digging, napping, sittingin it while he reaches over to munch on hay...He goes through phrasesthough. After he got neutered it was like it was his securityspot. He also has stray poos in his bowl now andagain. I remember reading somewhere that they do that onpurpose to remind everyone that it's "their" bowl. Same withthe area around their litter box I think. Can't remember where I sawthat....

I saw Pauly do the funniest thing the other day,though it was kind of obnoxious.He stood in the litterbox,prepared to use it, and then peed over the side of it by accident. He'susually so good I forgave him, but boy, his aim is off.

Angel used to put her "night droppings" in her food bowl. Man was that ever disgusting.

Latest posts

Back