digging and chewinG

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junebug13

Reaction score
What does it mean when your rabbit is digging and chewing vigorously on your lap? SO NOT FUN!

No one seems to have a consistent answer. Also people are saying that when bunnies hop away and flick their feet, it's a sign they don't like you. Is there any concrete evidence of that? Are bunnies just hard to figure out in general? I feel like June is happy to see me when I come and visit her, but I guess I could be totally wrong.

Oh, my rabbits flick me off all the time. It's just a sign of irritation, not that they don't like you. Like when I pick up one of mine and they don't like being picked up, they'll give me a little foot flick as they're hopping away, after I put them back down. Not really a big deal.

Digging and chewing on your lap can mean various things. It can be that your rabbit is trying to get your attention, because it wants you to move your leg, or it may need to pee and needs it's litter box, or it may want you to pet it. And sometimes it is just cause rabbits like digging, chewing, and rearranging cloth and towels. I discourage my bunnies from doing that, as I don't want them thinking it's ok to dig and chew at peoples clothes. I'll do a loud clap and tell the 'no', or take them off the couch if they are wanting to be up there. You could also offer an alternative object to dig on, like a fleece blanket, towel. etc.

This site is pretty helpful. It helps explain some of rabbits behavior and communication.
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

To me it is they are nesting and comfortable in my lap and with me. I do not really ever think they are to upset with me just like to be left to their own business on occasion.

My clyde digs and chews on certain pants or shorts when he's on me!! It doesn't seem like he's annoyed or anything. He just likes to do it!!!

I know for a fact with mine that foot flicking means my buns are annoyed at me. They only do it when I have to pick them up, take away something or take any action that displeases them. But they also love me, so I note their annoyance as just my roomies voicing their opinions.

Ash will foot flick at me if I pick him up and he doesn't like it. When I set him on the ground eh foot flicks as he hops away. Like Jenny said I don't think its a sign that they don't like you, just irritation.

Its weird because when Ash was younger he used to climb on people and dig and chew their clothing but now it seems like he's outgrown it, he doesn't do it anymore.

Latest posts

Back