Digging alternatives?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivory

Reaction score
For the last two weeks or so, Ivory has decided that (like clockwork) at five in the morning, she needs to start digging loudly at the bottom of their litterbox/cage (they aren't kept in the cage, but in their pen at night). I've figured out that they get hungry by this time, henceforth I began giving them their morning meal at this time. (They get greens at night, pellets in the morning.)

I don't mind getting up at five and giving them their pellets- it takes maybe five minutes, and then I'm back sleeping. The problem is that she has now begun to dig incessantly at the bottom of the cage whenever she wants something. She wants out of the pen? She digs at the cage. She wants a treat? She digs at the bottom of the cage. She wants petting? She digs LOUDLY at the bottom of the cage. And she doesn't stop until I give her what she wants. Yelling, "No!" only phases her for about a second...she doesn't take me seriously.

Erik just kind of sits there....

But yeah. I need some kind of quieter digging alternative, as well as any kind of tip to shut her up. *sigh* It's so much easier when it's a dog...you can bop a dog on the nose.....rabbits this obviously doesn't work. I'm about to use a spray bottle full of water and spritz her with it....

This morning while yelling "No" at her I actually accidently called her Sunny...after the dog....I'm getting my animals confused, lol. I WAS SLEEPY. SHE WOKE ME UP.

But yeah.

Any help?

(I admit this would actually be pretty funny if it weren't so....yeah.)

Magnet occasionally digs at the sheepskin pet bed in his cage - it makes no noise at all!! And very easy to clean, even if you shopvac the fur off of it.

Yup, Pipp is a major digger -- and it will be 5 AM unless I get her on my schedule, which means keeping her up when I'm up so she's too tuckered out. (She's good about adjusting, but when left to her own devices, I'm on HER schedule).

But fortunately, her favorite thing is towels. And clothes. If I leave a laundry basket in her area, she's in seventh heaven. (So are Dill and Sherry, it's even more of afavourite toy than a cardboard box).

Be forewarned, since she's discovered this very great pleasure, she's chewing and digging EVERYTHING made of cloth, even the clothes I'm wearing. :grumpy:

And seeing as picking up my clothes is not my forte (mama tried), I look like a bag lady and can't shop anywhere but the thrift store anymore.

So pick your poison. Waking up early? Being taught to pick up your clothes? Of living with holes. ;)

sas :biggrin2:

oooo i can sypathise with you as i have 3 little diggers!!! they are house rabbits and have taken to digging and playingbetween 2-4 AM!!!! i have been changing there toys every other night to try and keep them amused lol!! worse than kids and if you dare try to have a long lie they are knocking at the door. they have plenty of food and toys but what makes me laugh and they do it every time - they make so much noise that you get up and when u are up they go back to sleep :biggrin2:

I've resigned myself to the fact that I will be waking up early for them. It's kinda funny, actually.

But yeah, if I actually had to wake up at five every morning, Ivory would be a brilliant alarm clock.

Latest posts

Back