Digesting Different Hay Types...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
I'm wondering: If a bun is having digestive (gurgly) issues, is it relatively safe to feed him/her a new type of hay than what s/he's been eating?

My one bun is calming down from a very gassy episode and is currently eating only timothy hay. But I also have some brome and orchard grass, neither of which he's ever had. I'm wondering if I can feed it to him now, or if I should wait until his tummy completely calms.

Thanks,

Jenk

That's a good :ponder: question !!!
Ihave never slowly introduced other hay types to my rabbits andI have never had issues with it ..just gave them new stuff without thinking

but ....
because you seem to have more GI issues with your rabbits and if he's eating the timothyand liking it I would wait to intorduce another type to be on the side of safe.

angieluv wrote:
Ihave never slowly introduced other hay types to my rabbits andI have never had issues with it ..just gave them new stuff without thinking

but ....
because you seem to have more GI issues with your rabbits and if he's eating the timothyand liking it I would wait to intorduce another type to be on the side of safe.
Ain't that the truth?!? :biggrin2:

There's no harm in holding off on feeding another hay type until I learn if the 1-part alfalfa:4-parts timothy pelletmixture (or veggies alone) is causing Cali Boy gas.

Latest posts

Back