Different things to bed rabbits on....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, i feel so silly now. I have some rabbits in wire cages, and all they have is either a chunk or wood and/or an e-z mat and then some have litter boxes. They have no shavings. I guess I could house the bunnies w/solid floors w/o bedding, but I guess I just prefer it.

I think, though, I may call up my local newspaper companies and ask them what type of ink they use in their papers. I want to switch at least, both of my english lops over to a different bedding, because they ruin their bed of shavings within days. The newspaper I would just need to change at least once a week, if not twice, and they would use their litter boxes. It seems very much more efficient! I'm definitley going to try it!!

By the way, we now use kiln dried pine shavings as well as white shavings, whichever we can get. Right now we have a bag of each :)

Emily

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Haha, i feel so silly now. I have some rabbits in wire cages, and all they have is either a chunk or wood and/or an e-z mat and then some have litter boxes. They have no shavings. I guess I could house the bunnies w/solid floors w/o bedding, but I guess I just prefer it.

I think, though, I may call up my local newspaper companies and ask them what type of ink they use in their papers. I want to switch at least, both of my english lops over to a different bedding, because they ruin their bed of shavings within days. The newspaper I would just need to change at least once a week, if not twice, and they would use their litter boxes. It seems very much more efficient! I'm definitley going to try it!!

By the way, we now use kiln dried pine shavings as well as white shavings, whichever we can get. Right now we have a bag of each :)

Emily
If they pee on the newspaper it will need changing daily. One thing to be wary of is if you are using newspaper without wire floors they may trample through the pee as it isnt absorbent all the time. I would recommend a plastic floor to anybody, it dosent cost much and I have found it SO much easier to keep clean, now all I do is change out the litter box daily (although, if I used a proper bedding I would only need to change it every 3-4 days) and clean with disinfectant, bursh up the stray poops (he still has a problem with them but its getting alot better!), wipe over the plastic with an anti-bacterial pet disinfectant and replace bath mats, not that he ever sleeps on them :?!
Casper was the worst rabbit I have known for not using his litter pan, now its like a religion. He only had one accident the first day of using the plastic and he had one on the plastic yesterday but that was because the litter pan wasnt clean enough.

In any case I would just say try what ever there is, as only you can know what it suitable for your rabbit. :)

Latest posts

Back