Diet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerzeyQT98

Reaction score
Hi all,

What does everyone usually feed their rabbits and for how long?

Currently, Ozzy (4 months on June 27th) is eating unlimited ALFALFA pellets and unlimited ALFALFA hay. We just started him on greens at 12 weeks, but he only gets like a piece of lettuce, parsley, etc a day... very small amount. I've been doing this diet according to theHRS website.

I can't remember when to switch them over to Timothy hay and Timothypellets-- was it at 6 months??

Ozzy isgoing to the vet on Satto see ifhe can be neutered so I'm sure the vet will advise of what his diet should be at that point.

But I'm curious if anyone does anything or has done anything differently? I've used this diet for my other two bunnies previously.

Thanks! Angela

My girl Pepsi received that diet up until about 5 months, I switched when I noticed she was leaving excess cecals around. I didn't inroduce fresh veggies until that time.

I have an Ozzy also, he is 2. They both are on unlimited Timothy hay and 1/4 cup pellets each a day with a handful or fresh greens morning and night.

I think the HRS recommendation is around 7 months to switch to an adult diet.

As Julia mentioned, its good to keep an eye on your buns weight and poops because this does vary from bunny to bunny. If you start seeing excess cecals around its time to switch to Timothy and/or reduce pellet amount. But usually they say around 7 mo to start switching over to Timothy hay and decreasing pellet intake.

Sounds like youre on the right track :)

My bunny eat Timothy pellets and hay. Then he has veg. too.

Can any one tell me that they wash there veg. for there bunnies? Lassie

Hi Lassie, sorry we missed your question!

I just use water to wash my veggies. I soak them really good and scrub anything that looks dirty with my hands. I know there are veggies sprays they make that are organic, but I prefer to just use water. Hope that helps!

I normally spray it with an organic spray that gets all of the chemicals off of it, and rinse, then I spin it in a salad spinner. I also sometimes buy pre-washed greens :)

Back