Diet Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

molly

Reaction score
I will be the first to admit that my rabbits did not have the best diet when I got them. I started out watching them for a friend that was feeding them rabbit food that was a mix of pellets and dried seeds and corn and not much else. I ran out of that food and I went out and bought them Kaytee pellets and hay (which they didn't get before) and eventually, the rabbits became mine, and I switched to Martin's Mills Less Active rabbit pellets and Oxbow hay (mostly Timothy, but I do get other types every now and then to offer variety). I also feed them plenty of veggies everyday now, although they seem to be getting pickier and pickier on which veggies they'll eat.

I have thought of switching to Oxbow since it is now accessible to me, but they don't have a less active formula and my female, Danai, is not very active and is a *tad* overweight. I only feed them 1/8th of a cup of pellets each and I try to give them veggies higher in fibre and lower in sugars, but her weight loss seems to have plateaued. I have also heard that rabbits are picky about eating Oxbow, especially if being switched from Martin's pellets.

Then I saw that Harlan Teklad makes rabbit pellets (their rodent diets are excellent and more palatable than Oxbow's) and was wondering if they are any good. This is the diet that is available to me http://www.harlan.com/research_mode...s/teklad_global_high_fiber_rabit_diet_2031.hl , although the store I buy them from may be able to get any of the types in for me if I request them.

What do you guys think? Is Oxbow that much better than Martin's, even for an overweight rabbit? How about the Harlan diet? I want to do what's best for my bunnies.

Also, is it okay to feed bunnies sprouts? Like alfalfa, mustard, or pumpkin sprouts?

Thanks for the feedback!

Who has fed Martin's?

I feed Oxbow Bunny Basics T. Great stuff. Hopefully we can get you some feedback on Martin's.

As far as the veggie question, alfalfa sprouts are good 'starters' for young buns. Not heard of the others as sprouts, not sure. I wouldn't feed, haven't seen them on any list I've read.

I was actually wondering about the sprouts as well. I put them in my salad (bean or alfalfa) and Sophie is always interested in what is going on in my salad bowl :)

I also heard that I shouldn't offer her lettuce on a regular basis. does anyone know if this is true and what the reason for it is?? I have lots of fresh lettuce. I haven't been giving her any though.

Back