Diet Change to Remove Molar Spurs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunman

Reaction score
Could anyone suggest how long to try this before taking her to the vet again to see if it's working?

(I also added a chew stick, which she uses a lot).

What if I merge this thread with the vet thread but keep this title? A lot of the info is related.

I did post on Etherbun and apparently what probably happened to Pipp isthat the spur broke right off. Itdidn'tgetground down.However,lots of chewing will keep them from forming and keeplittle spursin check, and may cause them to break.The horror stories on EB aboutovergrown spurs don't reallyrelate to either of our cases. Pipp reacts badly to thetiniest spur, and Daisy's certainly aren't very big, she's not evenshowing any symptoms. (And she may never).

I think chew toys and sticks are better for the front teeth than thecheek teeth, but somebody mentioned the soft 'tooth purrs' weregrinding the cheeck teeth, so Pipp is now getting tons (and tons) ofnose pats. (She probably hired somebody to postthat!).

The hard veggies as previously listed are still best, along with firstcut Timothy (I buy it by the bale). Will shenibbleon straw?Alfalfa stems? Grass (I use cat grass) isapparently is good as well.

And unless she's overweight, carrots aren't much of a concern, I thinkthe warnings are just so people don't make it a dietarystaple. (If she thinks of it as a treat, maybe use morecarrot and less papaya?) Mine get a couple ofinchesevery day.

I'd keep experimenting with whatever veggies you can find.It's the variety of shapes and textures that keep the grinding wellbalanced and the spurs at bay.I just gotsome good thickbeet greens (for free), and carrot tops withsome good solid stems. I've been getting those alot lately thanks to a friendly grocer, maybe one of those did it forPipp.

I'd also look to mix in a fewhard pellets like Martin (notsure what else is out there) and tiny bits of treats like wholesunflower seeds and maybe even bits of barley. (Just not alot).

I really don't think you have to take her in for surgery until shestarts showing symptoms. Pipp's only symptom (she suddenlystopped eating!) is veryunusual. Younormallysee a slowly decreasing appetite, mouthmovements,drooling, a little weight loss,etc..No point in putting her through the surgeryuntil she really needs it. Expenses aside,itdoesn't hurt the teeth, but their littlemouthsgetreally sore being crankedopen like that.

And as for the anesthetic,I think the reason forthesedativeand not using gas for that type ofsurgery these days isbecause it's hard to work on teeth witha gas mask.I can't say ifit's any safer,although I know they're not as far 'under' as with gas, and I like thatidea. But I don't think it's a huge concern. Thereason for my (exhaustive) research into which vets here used whichmethods was a test to see which ones were keeping up with the latestmedical journals. It doesn't seem to be ahuge issue.

Let us know how it goes!

sas

Back