Diarhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does her diet consist of and how old is she?

I would start feeding her more hay and stop feeding any veggies if you are giving any. She needs more fiber in her diet right now

Is it true watery diarrhea or is it just softer poops that are sticking to her fur? If it's true diarrhea then you need to get her into the vet right away as she will need meds to get better. If it's just softer poops, then is there anything that could have stressed her recently, or any new changes to her diet or new foods? If there haven't been any changes that could be the cause, then most likely she is getting too many carbs and not enough fiber in her diet. What type of hay does she get fed and how much each day, what kind and amount of pellets, and what veggies and treats?

Take out anything but hay and pallets. If it is watery diarhea (true diarhea) you may need to see a vet who can get you something to help her. They can quickly get dehydrated from diarhea and it can very easily turn into something serious.

Also, I'm asuming she's an inside bunny. As long as she is and can stay warm, give her a butt bath in a tub or sink. Rinse her back end off and clean it up really well. Then be sure to get her very dry, if she's calm hold her and use a blowdryer for a while. If you're worried aout getting the poop on you, grab a pair of rubber gloves and wear old clothe.

She has 16% pellets I give her 2/3 cup a night, orchard grass hay, and mom only lets me give her a carrot as a treat, but I have found out that there are very sugary so she gets them only on occasions (I am trying to make my mom let me give her healthy veggies, she had rabbits when she was a kid and thought that they were unhealthy and gave rabbits diarrhea so she won't let me give them to her). It is only soft poop. She could be stressed out for she is a insecure rabbit. She is around 3 years old we do not have her exact birth date. I would give her a bath, but she had this problem a while ago and baths really scare her even though I tried to avoid making it traumatizing. It has stopped no.

Last edited:
If you need to clean her bum, you can use a warm damp cloth to get it off. If it's stuck on dry and hard, then just give her bum a bath. Don't soak her, just get her bottom wet to work the poo loose.

You can encourage more hay eating by refreshing the hay a couple times per day. Don't wait for it to be gone to refill it. Just put fresh hay on top twice per day. This usually gets them to eat more. The fiber can help prevent the messy bottom.

You are right about the carrots. When you do give her some on occasion, try to limit it to about a 1" slice and no more.

Many of us on the forum have gradually introduced greens to our rabbits and feed them 2-4 cups of greens daily. Mine get that daily and have never yet had poopy bums. Some bunnies react differently to specific greens, however, which is why greens are introduced one type at a time.

For the time being, stop all veggies. I'd give probiotics and try to clean the area as others have mentioned. Make sure it is diarrhea and not cecotropes, which are poos they should be eating.

You won't want to introduce veggies until you get this soft poop problem solved, as veggies could just contribute to the problem. Usually soft poops will be caused by too many pellets in a rabbits diet. I had the same problem with one of my bunnies. She had lots of normal poops, but would also have these soft poops. I decreased her pellet amount each day and the soft poops stopped. You could try decreasing your rabbits daily amount of pellets. It will also help her to eat more hay, which will also help.

If a diet change doesn't fix the problem, or her health worsens, you may need to take her into the vet, as parasites and bacteria can also cause digestive problems.

Everyone has kind of said everything I would have. Can you update us on her condition?

Try reducing her pellet amount. That's what cleared up the poopy bum with my rabbit. And don't feed any treats. If that doesn't work, you could try switching her to a timothy based pellet.

I'm wondering if these are normal fecal pellets or cecotrophs? You know, it could just be cecotrophs and due to some health change she can't get down there and then they get smooshed all over her. Also, what brand of pellets are they that she receives? I would go to the vet if this continues. They can give her something like Metaclopromide if they see it fit to end the soft stool. Also, they can run a fecal test which if she has a parasite could cause the same thing. In the mean time, I'd recomend trimming some of the excess fur by her bum to keep poop out of it-and keep her cage as clean as possible.

Latest posts

Back