Deworming Bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
I have three formerly feral foster bunnies here who likely have worm infestations -- hookworms and roundworms in particular. Of the seven ferals picked up altogether, two have been tested, and both have hookworm eggs.

My house rabbits have been around their areas. (Ya, shoulda kept them quarantined!) :headsmack

Is Panacur a good 'just in case' treatment? Is it like Ivermectin where the vets seem to want to give them doses of the stuff on spec?

Also, one of the feral bunnies is a baby, another needs surgery, is it going to be safe for them?

I can take in poop samples from all eleven rabbits I guess. But what about tapeworms? A fecal float isn't very reliable. Should the ferals get Prazoqiantel on spec?

I've always kept my guys inside because I have raccoons in the area, but I've really relaxed that rule with Mikey, he's been going for walks and hanging out in the yard, now I'm concerned about all manner of parasites, that one included. :(

Also, my roommate is concerned because she's been walking around the house in bare feet which isn't great if there are hookworms around. Do they treat humans on spec as well?

sas

I think Revolution is one of the best treatments for worms, mites and parasites. As far as I understand, one of the safest.

I have one extra dose of kitten revolution for a 3kg animal. You can have it if it will help. I bought a pack of three from Dr. Martinez for Baxter's mites and gave him two doses to make sure there where gone, so I've got one dose hanging around here.

-Dawn

Thanks, I actually ended up with a few doses, I needed some for Mister and Darry's mites and Pixiestixxx and my roomie both donated some to the cause.

But I don't think its the drug of choice for these worms although if somebody else thinks so, please advice, I'd rather use what I already have.

But even different kinds of roundworms respond to different drugs, and Panacur I do believe kills more different types of worms than Revolution. Given the infestation in this case I think we'd better play the odds.

Too bad!

Thanks again tho...

sas :thanks:

Revolution will help prevent the worms - so it's a good just in case method. I've revolutioned everybunny here since Sidney (One of the seven ferals) tested positive. But once the bunnies have worms in their systems then it's a different story.

Sidney started his first dose of fenbendazole last night. He has two more to go! And then he will be wormie free =] It's kinda gross, I'm already seeing dead worms in his droppings =O

I have Evie's droppings to test today (The "feral" pregnant mama). I was going to bring her to live with me yesterday, but now I can't if she's got worms =[ So I'll test her today, but I can't deworm her if she's pregnant.

Opps forgot to mention! You can see tapeworm eggs in a fecal float.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/nematodes.htm

I think a course of Panacur is a good idea for all of them. That site mentiones that fenbendazole is a good way to treat most intestinal parasites.

You can give ivermectin to pregnant buns, but you'll have to check the link above to see whether the worms you're seeing are sensitive to ivermectin.

I'm pretty sure when we had a bunny at the shelter with tapeworms (the worm stage, not the larval/cyst stage) he was treated with ivermectin or maybe panacur. I don't know about the young and panacur, unfortunately, but I bet ivermectin is fine for younger bunnies.

Our shelter uses Panacur on ALL bunnies who come in who have been found or kept outside to treat for worms just in case. Yes, they use it like Revolution as a "just in case" medicine since it doesnt have any side effects. You can usually find it over the counter (I think its labeled for goats) at farm/feed stores. I actually think I have some here I can send to you if you need it.

There was a post recently where Pam Nock talked about worming with pumpkin seeds. She said that the compounds in pumpkin seeds that kill parasites have to be given at such a high dose that you can't possibly give enough of the seeds to affect the parasites--and if you did, it would be enough of those compounds to harm the bunny itself as well.

Latest posts

Back