Dewlaps

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momof2buns

Reaction score
Abby is a netherland dwarf, she had a dewlap when I got her, now it looks like it's shrunk. Is a dewlap just fur? Or fat? I've been exercising her daily as we go on walks outside...I'm wondering if that has something to do with her disappearing dewlap? I've seen some jr. does develop a dewlap and that's the end of showing for them. Just wondering if anyone has had a simular experience?

Pipp and Sherry's dewlaps seem to come and go with their weight issues. They're both NDs and they've both at times started to get a little tubby before I cut back on the treats. Sherry was chunky when she arrived and her dewlap pretty much disappeared after I got her in shape.

Darry, my mini-lop, has a huge dewlap and skirt that almost hangs to the floor, but she's not overweight. She's somewhat slimmer than when I got her, but she didn't undergo a massive weight loss or anything. She just started getting a lot more exercise and a healthy diet when she came here after being kept in a small cage for a year or two and only fed pellets.

She looks fat in this pic (she looks fat in most pics) but she's actually quite slim and in great shape. It's just all dewlap skin.

sony0209037-1.jpg

sas :bunnydance:

I have a Netherland Dwarf (purebred) and she has a really big dewlap right now. So big, it would be a waste showing her at this time, because she'd just get DQ'd.
It does go away and come back, almost with her weight too. Right now I think she's about 4 lbs. She's definitley to big for her breed/age, but hopefully with the diet all the bunns are on, she'll loose some weight and that big dewlap!

Emily

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
I have a Netherland Dwarf (purebred) and she has a really big dewlap right now. So big, it would be a waste showing her at this time, because she'd just get DQ'd.
It does go away and come back, almost with her weight too. Right now I think she's about 4 lbs. She's definitley to big for her breed/age, but hopefully with the diet all the bunns are on, she'll loose some weight and that big dewlap!

Emily

She most likely does not carry the dwarfing gene. 4 pounds is normal weight for a non-dwarf Netherland Dwarf :)

Sharon

Can spayed rabbits have dewlaps? I was wondering if dewlap growth is also related to the presence of female hormones..

same/...... my girl has a small one... but is spayed. well yesterday,,.

I've had does lose the most of the dewlap when on a diet, never completely but Rex do tend to have rolls here and there anyway. :p

Some of my Flemish girls have very large dewlaps. They do shrink down when they lose weight, but never completely go away. I see a distinctlink from mothers to daughters to grand daughters. If the mother has a large dewlap, I see it in her daughters and grand daughters. I have a line of Blues that do not have large dewlaps, and so far, their daughters seem to carry smaller dewlaps.

BlueGiants wrote:
I see a distinctlink from mothers to daughters to grand daughters. If the mother has a large dewlap, I see it in her daughters and grand daughters. .
Me too! My blue Rex have all had large dewlaps.

It seems to me that spayed does will have smaller dewlaps than unpspayed does, although msot of my does were adults before they got spayed so I don't have a whole lot of room for comparison.

Latest posts

Back