Devastated - Sudden Passing of my Bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BerkleeAjax

Reaction score
My bun Berklee suddenly passed away for no apparent reason. She is only fed pellet, hay, and fresh greens every day. Sometimes pieces of apple or banana. She did not seem lethargic but the last I was with her, she was cuddled up with me for sometime just chilling with me while I smooched on her and she soaked it all in. Nothing seemed wrong. Shortly before we put her in her condo (with her mate, a male) she was pooping just fine. Had literally left a little trail of poops on the bed, which isn't unusual for her. We put her in her condo with the male about midnight, and we have a camera in the room. Best as we can tell from footage, the night vision was on, but it wasn't optimum, she died within the next hour on the first floor of the condo at the base of the ramp. The male bun spent some time with her trying to figure out what was wrong, so he has had time to process and grieve with her body. We didn't find out until morning around 10:00. It was horrifying. :eek:

The only unusual thing that happened was that Friday night out **** roomba managed to get into the bathroom with them where they were hanging out in my master bedroom. The roomba got behind the door, shut the door and trapped itself into the bathroom with the bunnies. Not sure how long, but no longer than a 20 minutes to a half an hour until we found that it did that. The bunnies seemed okay, and the Roomba had shut off as it was stuck. They are fairly used to vacuums, but not that. The roomba isn't for our bedroom, and it usually can't make the entrance into the room, but that night it did!! The both buns seemed okay after. Could that have killed her? It was just 28 hours or so after the Roomba incident that she passed. But again, she seemed fine. Ugh. I'm just devastated.

Any thoughts? She didn't get into any poison either. They are inside only bunnies, very well cared for and the areas of the house where they are allowed free reign is very bunny friendly, just not Roomba proof apparently. :(

Thanks.

I am very sorry for your loss. I had a Holland lop a few years ago who passed suddenly of unknown cause. I regret not asking my veterinarian for a necropsy (animal autopsy) because to this day, I am unsure what happened to her. Perhaps you could contact your veterinarian to see if they have such services or can refer you to one if you decide to do so. Up to you. Also, I am not sure about the roomba as I never owned one.

I have also read that if one of a bonded pair passes, the other could get very depressed that s/he does not eat or drink. Keep a close eye out for the male mate.

https://rabbit.org/pet-loss-support-for-your-rabbit/

Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

Thank you for responding.

Yes, we are watching our male closely and he was able to spend time with his mates body so he could understand and grieve. We are spending extra time with him and will be researching a new mate for him. I decided not to go with a necropsy. Most research I saw indicated that with rabbits most are inconclusive and she isn't coming back anyway.

Latest posts

Back