Design Plan Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily0862

Reaction score
Chambersburg and Berlin, Pennsylvania, USA
So Lola is in the large cage when i'm at school and in a dog crate (one of the fully open ones, not a carrier) when we're home on breaks. I would like to build her a "cube" pen from the metal cube panels but have no idea where to start with my blue print. The tutorial thread that's on here is good but the pictures aren't there anymore so I have no image reference to what they are describing. She is out of her pen when ever we are home which basically means she is in her pen to sleep but sometimes she has to be in her pen during the day if we have to go away or run errands. I would love to have at least two levels to it so she can hop so I also need help understanding how people put together "shelves" in the pens. Any help or pictures are greatly appreciated! Also, let me know if something is unclear :D

Shelves are pretty easy to put in. Using zip ties, attach it one grid at a time (I find it easier do to 1 at a time) in the spot you want. Put on as many as you need. You then need supports for it, many people use wooden dowels. I find the 1" thick ones work well, get it cut around 2 inches longer than you need. Run the dowel under the shelf and zip tie it in place. I would use 1 dowel for each row of grids. You will also need something on top of the grids so the rabbit is not on the wire. I would recommend something that can support your rabbit's weight and keep it's shape, coroplast works well.
One thing I would say is that levels and shelves can be hard if they are too big. It would need more support to it doesn't sag.

Buy lots of zip ties, around 100-300 for a good sized cage to make it more secure and sturdy. They also need to be good ones, the 7.5" long ones that can hold 50 pounds work well, some dollar stores carry good ones.

Back