Desexing Concerns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonsai

Heidi's Mom
Reaction score
Hello!

I seem to always be asking questions here, lol! But today I have a question relating to having rabbits desexed.

I've heard people mention having a pre-operative blood test done to figure out how a bun will react to going under. The bun I will be getting early next year will be a Netherland Dwarf (I found the perfect breeder!) so their size worries me greatly when it comes to procedures. So what kind of blood test is this? When I call the vet, what should I ask for when booking the appointment (made in advance before the procedure)?

Also, I'm not sure what gender I will be getting yet. I'm hoping for a buck, but I won't say no if I find the perfect doe. What should I be doing post-operation to help him/her recover? Is there anything in particular I should do for either gender that will help them recover quicker? I know does are a little sulkier after the procedure and after losing a rabbit to suspected stasis less than 2 months ago, I'm terrified of a replay. :( So what's the best method of helping them get back on their paws after they get fixed?

Just remembered my final question! At what age should a Netherland Dwarf be fixed, both sexes? I know they're small and I also know some vets have a "2lb or more" limit, but what if the bun is particularly small and doesn't meet that limit?

Sorry if my questions are silly, I'm just very worried about it all!

Last edited:
You might already know this, but I think one important thing to know when neutering or spaying a rabbit is that they don't need to fast before surgery. They aren't able to vomit like cats or dogs so the risk of vomiting while under anesthesia does not apply to rabbits. In fact, because of their metabolism it is really important that they keep eating before and after the procedure. I left some of my buns food with the vet when I dropped them off for their neutering, pellets, hay, and their favorite greens. The vet tech said they had started eating already when I picked them up. They recovered well too. I didn't have the blood test just because I didn't want to pay for it. If that isn't an issue for you and you want the peace of mind then go for it. Hopefully someone on the forum who is more knowledgeable about the blood test can help you with that question.

Yes, I think pre-surgical blood is very important. When you call about the procedure, just ask for presurgical blood; they will know which panel to run.

Also, yes it is important to not fast before surgery for a bunny. Send a little of your bunny's food and hay along for them to keep in the cage before and after.

It's really important to be sure that they send home a postop pain med. This is essential to keeping he bunny eating and drinking and therefore preventing stasis.

More than anything pre-op or post-op, I think the very biggest thing you can do is be sure you have a really rabbit savvy vet doing the surgery. They will know what to do before and after to make sure everything goes smoothly and to keep your bunny as comfortable as possible.

If you're worried about the weight of the bunny, you may just need to weight until it's a little bit older so it can be as full grown as possible at the time of the surgery.

The size of the rabbit has nothing to do with blood work. Really doing a blood panel isn't that important unless the animal is older. The blood work will show things like kidney issues and what not, so if a young rabbit is having issues like that, there are other issues to worry about, and the rabbit will most likely have issues with or with out the procedure. And as for size, its about what size the vet is comfortable with.

Have a read here.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f22/spaying-neutering-10487/#post841613

I have both a male and female Netherland Dwarf. I waited until my male was 7 or 8 months to get him neutered because of my husband not thinking it was needed. My vet who has been spaying and neutering rabbits for 20 plus years said blood work was not needed. He did fine. I have an exercise pen I put him in instead of his cage so he wouldn't be jumping and running around for 2 days after his surgery.
My female is 4 going on 5 months old and the vet wanted to spay her at 4 months because she said that females were easier to spay at that age. She didn't make weight. She was 1.75 and she needed to be 2 lbs. That's so she could handle the anesthetic better. Most people or places you read online say the best age to spay a female is 5 to 6 months males can be done earlier. The best thing to do is when you get your new bunny take him or her in for their first check up and ask your vet what their recommendations are and any questions you have. Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back