Depressed? Please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshall08

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, really looking for some advise from fellow bunny owners.
Ive been to the vets twice this week with my 8 yr old bunny. He has never had any health issues but this last week he has completely lost his appetite and now only eating very minimal fresh veg and I haven't seen him drink. I have been syringe feeding him for the last 3 days.
The vets don't know what is wrong with him.
I'm wondering if it's possible that he's fallen into a depression following the death of his bonded bunny friend. She died around 3 months ago, is it possible that this could be the reason?
I did leave him with her after she had passed but honestly he's not the brightest bunny and Im not sure he understood. It's breaking my heart thinking that he could of been expecting her to return this whole time?!
If it is how can I help him? And if not any ideas what it could be?
He lives outside with a hutch and run.
Thanks in advance!

Hi!

What sort of diagnostics were run? Did they at least get blood and do an X-ray? It sounds like your bunny is in pain, and not of the psychological variety. I personally do not think a rabbit would have a delayed response to losing a mate.

If any X-rays that were done didn't reveal any pain source (such as arthritis or bladder stones) my "go-to" thought is e. cuniculi. It can present weird, vague symptoms like you've described.

I'm so sorry your bunny is unwell. Oh, do I know the stress!

Thanks for your reply. No tests or x-rays have taken place. Vet just gave me gut stimulant, pain relief and syringe feed for him. He seems abit more spritely this afternoon. Has eaten more veg and grass than he has been but really not sure what's going on with him. I'll be going back to the vets with him on Wednesday. What should I be asking them to do? I Don't want to have to fork out another consultation fee just to be stuck in the same situation yet again.

I agree with @Dkaralunas. If she is eating more today it's probably because the pain medication is working.
She could be in the beginning stages of GI stasis. It could be a lot of things that is causing her to be in pain. These next couple days watch her very closely. Continue with the medication. Make sure she is eating hay and veggies and she is pooping. Rinse the veggies with water so this way she will at least be getting water when she eats the veggies. You can also rub her tummy a little to help with the pain/gas build up/ stasis. Hopefully this is just GI stasis and the medication will take care of the problem.
If she isnt back to normal by Wednesday, than ask the vet for x-rays and blood work. Hopefully that will tell you the problem or at least rule things out.

This is what my personal plan of action would be, because it appears your vet is not being particularly proactive.

First thing, have your vet get a good idea of his dental health. And not a visual inspection. One with an otoscope. Make sure those chompers are not overgrown, and causing pain. And no abrasions on the the cheeks and tongue.

If teeth look good, move to phase two: an Xray. Specifically of the hips, knees and bladder. Given your bunnies age, it may be something like arthritis that needs to be controlled with a long-term analgesic. Older bunnies can develop bladder sludge as well (simple due to not moving around as much and calcium settling in the bottom of the bladder). That can be very uncomfortable and may require a good flush with a sub Q, something your vet can do.

All clear on the Xray? Move onto blood work, to see make sure the liver and kidneys are doing their job.

Generally stasis doesn't happen in a vacuum, it's a result of an underlying pathology. I would insist on basic diagnostics and get my arms around what is troubling your bunny enough to not eat. Early intervention is so important to a good prognosis.

Thinking good thoughts for you and your little man!

Latest posts

Back