Demon bunny, MeiMei

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BabyMei

Reaction score
My Netherland Dwarf MeiMei used to be my sweet little girl. She licked me all the time, came up to me, and loved the cat. When I got my other rabbit, Lennie, she seemed fine with him too. He really likes her and she likes him. Although, she gets mad when he tries to hump her. She growls at him xD I can't help but giggle at the thought of a little dwarf growling at a bunny much bigger than her, lol. Anyways, they do great together. He did hump her a couple times though. Now, she's like a demon bunny! She bites me, pulls on my clothes, lunges at the cat, which she used to cuddle with all the time, and avoids me ): It makes me upset because I miss my sweet little girl... So, I've got the mind set that she's pregnant. That's the only thing I can really think of. Any help would GREATLY appreciated :3:bunnyheart

Well if you put her and Lennie together and if she is not spayed and he is not neuteredthen she probably is pregnant. you should separate them.

She will need her own space to make a nest to have her kits.

did you plan this?

angieluv wrote:
Well if you put her and Lennie together and if she is not spayed and he is not neuteredthen she probably is pregnant. you should separate them.

did you plan this?
No, I did not plan it. They're not in the same cage, but I do let them out together. I'm kinda nervous, but glad at the same time. It sounds mean to say, but at least when the kits are old enough, I can sell them. I'm only making a profit off of them so I can afford Lennie's neutering. I normally would never do that >.< But that doesn't mean I'm gonna hand them off to anyone :p I only want people who have bunnies to have them, so at least I know they have experience.

BabyMei wrote:
angieluv wrote:
Well if you put her and Lennie together and if she is not spayed and he is not neutered then she probably is pregnant. you should separate them.

She will need her own space to make a nest  to have her kits.

did you plan this?
No, I did not plan it. They're not in the same cage, but I do let them out together. I'm kinda nervous, but glad at the same time. It sounds mean to say, but at least when the kits are old enough, I can sell them. I'm only making a profit off of them so I can afford Lennie's neutering. I normally would never do that >.< But that doesn't mean I'm gonna hand them off to anyone :p I only want people who have bunnies to have them, so at least I know they have experience.

Like meee! :hearts:

I just had an unplanned kit so don't think I am wanting to be harsh or anything but there are things to think of:

First of all, you will most likely make very little profit if any. You'll have to keep the babies til they are at least 8 weeks old before you can rehome them.Meanwhile, you'll have to feed them and separate the males from the females. Do you have a cage for it? If not, then you might have to figure how to keep them separate and that might involve spending for another cage.

Second of all, you say Lennie is bigger. How much bigger? I would worry about her struggling to pass the kits properly... A stuck kit would require emergency vet care and that definitely won't help her nor your finances.

Third of all, if this is her first time, it doesn't mean that she will take to them properly. She may do a horrible job, have stillborns, reject them, not have her milk come in right, etc. It's not always so enjoyable.

Fourth, it's possible she's not pregnant and just hormonal. Hormonal bunnies, especially females, can get quite aggressive. Not only would you be at risk of being bitten, so would your cat and other bunny. They can be pretty feisty as well. I have one that can deliver a nasty bite and she is quite the fighter. You wouldn't want her injuring another of your pets I am sure, plus, it wouldn't help finances again if you need to bring in an injured pet. You certainly wouldn't want to resent her for becoming aggressive either and it would be sad if it ever got to that point. On top of it all, bunnies often spray when hormonaland that is certainly no fun.

I would definitely look into having her spayed asap. If you aren't ready to have her spayed because it is a little bit more expensive, maybe you could look into having your boy neutered first so that you can work at bonding them happily.

If she is pregnant, then I wish her the best of luck and I hope the pregnancy goes smoothly. I hope you will be more careful in the future though as it's not all it is cut out to be, trust me, I've experienced it. I didn't particularly enjoy burying the stillborn and it was a really stressful time, not knowing if she would safely deliver.If you ask me, there are better ways to fund the neuter.:rose:

like said above, the money you make off rehoming the babies will not be enough to cover food.

meaning the dad is a new zealand(?) which is a LARGE breed comnpared to your little dwarf it ould easily kill her if you dont take her to the vet

and many does will get mean after you try to breed them, and they stay mean. so its a good idea not to let them out tp play together anymore until they are spayed and nuetered on both ends.

Have the same doubts about selling a litter for a profit, it just doesn't happen. The size difference in the rabbits also brings up a host of problems as already stated. We have had all of our bunnies neutered--it helps rid them of hormonal behavior. They do have behavioral changes as time goes by, so it is possible that a "sweet" bunny can become a terror and stay that way too.

The posts above state very valid concerns. You should see in the next few weeks if she's pregnant but separate them regardless. Spay and neuter the buns when you can but they shouldn't play together until that has been done, for reasons everyone else has already brought up. If behavior is what you're worried about, spaying should help quite a bit.

Nela wrote:
I just had an unplanned kit so don't think I am wanting to be harsh or anything but there are things to think of:

First of all, you will most likely make very little profit if any. You'll have to keep the babies til they are at least 8 weeks old before you can rehome them.Meanwhile, you'll have to feed them and separate the males from the females. Do you have a cage for it? If not, then you might have to figure how to keep them separate and that might involve spending for another cage.

Second of all, you say Lennie is bigger. How much bigger? I would worry about her struggling to pass the kits properly... A stuck kit would require emergency vet care and that definitely won't help her nor your finances.

Third of all, if this is her first time, it doesn't mean that she will take to them properly. She may do a horrible job, have stillborns, reject them, not have her milk come in right, etc. It's not always so enjoyable.

Fourth, it's possible she's not pregnant and just hormonal. Hormonal bunnies, especially females, can get quite aggressive. Not only would you be at risk of being bitten, so would your cat and other bunny. They can be pretty feisty as well. I have one that can deliver a nasty bite and she is quite the fighter. You wouldn't want her injuring another of your pets I am sure, plus, it wouldn't help finances again if you need to bring in an injured pet. You certainly wouldn't want to resent her for becoming aggressive either and it would be sad if it ever got to that point. On top of it all, bunnies often spray when hormonaland that is certainly no fun.

I would definitely look into having her spayed asap. If you aren't ready to have her spayed because it is a little bit more expensive, maybe you could look into having your boy neutered first so that you can work at bonding them happily.

If she is pregnant, then I wish her the best of luck and I hope the pregnancy goes smoothly. I hope you will be more careful in the future though as it's not all it is cut out to be, trust me, I've experienced it. I didn't particularly enjoy burying the stillborn and it was a really stressful time, not knowing if she would safely deliver.If you ask me, there are better ways to fund the neuter.:rose:
I never wanted her to be pregnant. I never said it was going to be enjoyable. I know it's going to be difficult. I never said it was going to be easy. I never wanted this to possibly happen. Lennie isn't much bigger than her. It's a noticable difference in size, but with his size, the kits should come out fine, meaning the size shouldn't be a huge problem for her. I have tons of cages so seperating them wont devower my money. Food, yes I know will cost money. And it wasn't until recently that she lunged at my cat and bit me, last week. I've had Lennie for a couple of months now. Mei for quitea few. Neutering is a bit cheaper than spaying so that's what I'm going to do. I know I wont make much profit, but it's a start to Lennie's neutering. I don't want the money for myself, if anything, I would spend it all on my bunnies, cause they're my babies ^^♥ MeiMei hasn't ever sprayed, she uses her litterbox no matter where it is.

fuzz16 wrote:
like said above, the money you make off rehoming the babies will not be enough to cover food.

meaning the dad is a new zealand(?) which is a LARGE breed comnpared to your little dwarf it ould easily kill her if you dont take her to the vet

and many does will get mean after you try to breed them, and they stay mean. so its a good idea not to let them out tp play together anymore until they are spayed and nuetered on both ends.
My guess is that he is a Californian, because he has the same markings and eye color.

I will eventually get both of my babies fixed. Neutering is cheaper though, so that's why I'm getting him fixed first. Lennie, if anything, has gotton way sweeter and acually enjoys sitting on my lap and being pet. He used to be so shy and terrified of everything :p

Yield wrote:
BabyMei wrote:
angieluv wrote:

did you plan this?

Like meee! :hearts
Yes, like you Bailee :bunnyheart

BabyMei wrote:
fuzz16 wrote:

My guess is that he is a Californian, because he has the same markings and eye color.
Californian (8-10lbs) rabbits are QUITE a bit larger than a Netherland dwarf (~2 lbs). I would be concerned about birth complications. :nerves1

Himalayans however, look a lot like Californians, but are noticeably smaller in size and weight. They have similar markings and red eyes.

kirbyultra wrote:
BabyMei wrote:
fuzz16 wrote:

Californian (8-10lbs) rabbits are QUITE a bit larger than a Netherland dwarf (~2 lbs). I would be concerned about birth complications. :nerves1

Himalayans however, look a lot like Californians, but are noticeably smaller in size and weight. They have similar markings and red eyes.
Well like I said, it's just a guess. I'm thinking about getting him and MeiMei DNA tested to see what bunnies they are mixed with.

Even if you get Lennie neutered it is very unlikely that an unspayed female will get along with him. (others please correct me if I am wrong ) ..unspayed females can be very territorial and downright mean to neutered males.

With the issues re. the smaller size of Mei it wuld be wiser to have her spayed ..the sooner the better.
The health issues that could develop here would be a lot more expensive than a spay

Possibly there is aRabbit rescue near you that could help you ?; sometimes they spay and neuter for cheaper prices. it is worth it to look into cheaper but experienced spay /neuter clinics.

We can possibly help you with that as we have members in all part of the country including Mi. :)

Alexa, Michigan Humane Society may help you. All my buns were neutered/spayed there, and such. But it came with the buns :p Maybe it'll help though :p

BabyMei wrote:
kirbyultra wrote:
BabyMei wrote:
fuzz16 wrote:

Well like I said, it's just a guess. I'm thinking about getting him and MeiMei DNA tested to see what bunnies they are mixed with.
While this might be worthwhile if you had the money, I think spaying and neutering them both would be much more beneficial to you (moneywise timewise etc. due to unwanted pregnancies) and to their health, *especially* the female's

Jen

Set them on a scale. Preferably a good quality digital. If the doe is actually a netherland dwarf a postal or kitchen scale might work since they usually go up to a couple pounds. You can also often stop by your vet office and use their scale without an appointment. I do that for my larger dog several times a year. Then we'll know the difference in size.

If it's too many pounds different I would seriously consider a spay that removes the kits or make sure you have enough money and a competent veterinary ER clinic that can do a C section on a rabbit. At least I think they can be done on rabbits. I've heard of them being done on guinea pigs. It will cost you $100s though.

It's much cheaper to neuter before such things happen than to try to save a rabbit after they do. Even with normal pregnancy within the same breed or smaller bucks on bigger does you can have problems. I just had to euthanize a doe 5 days ago and am handfeeding her 7 kits because her uterus prolasped. We found my sweetest doe in the corner in a pool of blood with both horns of the uterus sticking out. She was sedated just as she started to go in to shock and then humanely put down. Always be prepared to lose the female when breeding animals. It usually gives me months of sleepless nights when we breed a horse.

Latest posts

Back