Decreased eating...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatkiidsean

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a little concerned. Einstein seems to have slowed down his eating, to where it scares me. Usually I feed him 1/4 cups of pellets in the morning and greens at night and of course unlimited supply of timothy hay all the time. Whats worrying me is that usually when I give him his pellets he seems usually gobbles it down but now when i feed him his greens in the evening there is STILL pellets in there. He ate some but there is still some left there. When i feed him his greens he is not eating it like he used too. He is pooping and drinking. but the decreased eating is scaring me. He is also laying down a lot . I know lionheads are prone to GI statis like any other breed and I have been giving him papaya treats to help pass the fur. I am wondering if I should make an appointment with his vet.
Thank you !:bunnynurse::bunnynurse:

I wouldn't say it's an emergency at this point, as long as he is still eating, but I think my concern would be maybe an issue with his teeth? We had a bun who would eat everything but his pellets. Turns out he was having teeth problems and it was hurting him to break down the pellets.

Have you seen the "strings of pearls" type of poo (poo strung together with fur)? What kind of greens are you feeding? Could they be giving him gas? Are you feeding him any other treats? If you are at all concerned about stasis, I would take him in just to be on the safe side. The vet can also check the teeth to make sure there is nothing else wrong.

When we went to the vet a couple months ago he said that his teeth were fine. How will I know if they are not ? I usually just feed him romaine lettuce and sometimes cilantro and parsley. Once in a while i see maybe 3 poop connected together but not all the time.

How old is your bun now and about how much does he weigh? How much hay is he eating- a pile the size of his body, each day(or bigger, smaller than that)? Have you been feeding any other additional foods or treats recently that could explain him eating less of his usual foods? Have you noticed a decrease in poop size with the decrease in appetite? Is he running around and playing, or behaving normally otherwise?

Back