Decisions, Decisions. argh!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one are you voting for?

• Holland Lop

• Another Mini Rex

• Midwest Bunny

• Polish

• Dutch

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jess_sully

Reaction score
Alright. Some of you might know I'm currently searching for a friend for Flynn.
Some of you ALSO might remember how long it took me to choose a breed before deciding on Flynn.
Alas... the problem resurfaces.
Here are my options, currently.
1) Black Holland- always had a soft spot for hollands! I love them! A breeder right in Grand Rapids has two black holland does that just turned 8 weeks old, and two torts, and several more babies ready to leave in a week or so. I want to go see them terribly, considering she's right in my city, but she's taking forever to email me back.
2) One of several adorable girls at Midwest. The fact that they're homeless buns who need rescuing and are already spayed is a huge plus. But getting there is a huge negative, because I definitely can't make two trips over there (if even one), so I'd have to decide on the spot. It would also be slightly strange/sad not to know the bun's exact age (it would just bother me for some reason) and I would miss the baby days and the opportunity to raise them myself, thus, the way I want.
3) Polish from a breeder in Grand Rapids- I've always been attracted to this breed. They're such cute little guys and I"ve heard they have better temperaments than other dwarfs.
4) The lovely lionhead from craigslist, whose owner STILL hasn't emailed back :(
5) Dutch from a breeder I talked with a lot this summer, she's fantastic. I was VERY close to getting a blue baby from her, until I decided to go with a mini rex for allergy reasons
6) Mini rex from Flynn's breeder in Mount Pleasant- kind of far away and have to decide based on a scared little baby bunny (not a fan of the conditions of the rabbitry (dirty, crowded, scared buns), although the breeder was very very nice!)

So there you have it.
Allergies are still a minor concern- if my roommate and I are not allergic to Flynn, do you think we would be allergic to another bun? Kate is pretty sure she has rabbit allergies but has no reaction whatsoever to Flynn, and her room is right across the hall from mine. If she has allergies, the new little girl would have to go...
And size is, as well, because of my landlady and space. But these breeds are all pretty small, so... I guess that doesn't matter too much.
Also, I'm looking for a more cuddly breed/bun than Flynn- he is friendly but not at all affectionate towards me. This is why I'm drawn to Hollands... I've never met a Holland that I didn't love and who didn't love me!

I would get a homeless bunny. Either from the place you mentioned or if travelings a problem is there a place closer? Some places even have baby rabbits.

I would think if you got another rabbit that had the same type of hair, meaning not long hair I don't think you would be allergic. One thing to think about though is that there will be more hair so if you are having problems now they could get worse. I wuold just try to make sure you get a rabbit with short hair. I wouldn't get a rabbit until you know for sure though because it would be hard to give it up if she is allergic.

I don't know if one type of rabbit is more affectionate then another. Someone else maybe able to help you with that. I think it depends on the rabbits personality not their breed. BUt I could be wrong. I don't know that much about different breeds of rabbits.

Good Luck. Getting a new bunny is fun and exciting.

If it were me personally, I'd go with Midwest! :) Might be worth talking to Haley too, I know she has/does volunteer there. I know they have SO many bunnies in need of a home, and just for myself I would rather be in a rescue with lots of different bunnies, ages, breeds etc. and just see if I click with one... also might be an option to bring Flynn along for a bunny date if they do speed dating?

Sometimes they do know the ages too, and I know they probably have younger bunnies there. I know it's a bit strange, since I have my girl Jasminewho was abandoned in a park and only found as a stray, so I don't know any of her background.. but now that she's with me I just love her to bits, and you definitely catch up and learn their quirks quickly when they are with you! I also prefer adultsover babies.. they are cute, but I just like being able to click with a certain bunny, and I find it hard to click with babies.

I hate decisions...so I'm probably not a good one to post here.

As far as the lionhead - from what I can see from the picture....I don't think you're going to have a lot of fur issues...as the lionhead looks to me like either a lionhead mix or a single mane lionhead. Also - you can see from the Craigslist ad that the lionhead can be held. I can tell you that lionheads can be fun - but they can also be pains in the rear (if you get a female who isn't friendly). That female looked fairly friendly - but then again - we don't know just how mature she is.

I love hollands - but I've had some that were sweeties and some that weren't. I love Holland boys - but I'm not as fond of Holland girls. But I've only had one true purebred Holland girl (she chased the dog and would bite her) - my other girls are half Holland.

To me - the Polish sorta seemed like the Netherland Dwarfs in personality but I could be all wrong. My Nethie boys weren't really that fun to have around and they fought like crazy even after getting neutered. Now that he's almost four years old (wow) - Tio has settled down and can be a snuggler. The key word in that sentence is CAN be. He's gotten out of his cage a few times (which is ok since he's neutered) and he and Audrey really go at it - now he has a lock on his cage door for his protection. Audrey is the dominant lionhead female in the office... However-I could be wrong about Polish as I have never had one.

Dutch I know nothing about.

Here is my concern about adopting from Midwest (which I highly support). If you are not going to be able to keep your girl if things don't work out - it could be a struggle to find a new home for her (or they might have something in the adoption contract saying you have to return her to them).

However - if you go with a reputable breeder - many times the breeder will take the rabbit back if it doesn't work out. I have taken back rabbits a couple of times (I don't refund the money usually because of the various circumstances under which I've taken them back). So if you can find a local breeder who will work with you - perhaps they would let you "borrow" the rabbit for a date with your guy...and then return the rabbit if the personalities don't match.

A quick question for you is....which rabbit do you find your heart pulling you towards the most? If I suddenly said to you, "Cross X off your list because its gone"....which one of those options would you feel the worst about having to cross off your list.

I think you need to do what's best for Flynn - but also - whats best for you too.

Just my .02

Spring wrote:
If it were me personally, I'd go with Midwest! :) Might be worth talking to Haley too, I know she has/does volunteer there
- I PM'd Haley a few days ago about a couple girls I had my eyes on, but unfortunately my favorite one has been bonded, and my landlady is only allowing me to get ONE more rabbit. The main problem with Midwest is the distance- over 3 hours- and convincing someone to go with me. I don't currently have a car so I have to rely on friends for any trips out of the city! There are some other nice looking buns at Midwest, but none that I feel really COMPELLED to as Molly (from picture & description), who is bonded :( And I cannot tell you how annoyed my boyfriend (he's very impatient) would be if we drove all the way there and I didn't connect with any of them.

TinysMom wrote:
Here is my concern about adopting from Midwest (which I highly support). If you are not going to be able to keep your girl if things don't work out - it could be a struggle to find a new home for her
-I never thought about this before, but it is true. I think a baby/young rabbit would have better chances of finding a good home. However, I would be completely DEVASTATED if I had to let her go, I get attached to people and animals very quickly. I'm willing to tolerate allergies that I might have, but my housemate is not, unfortunately. Some people I've talked to have said that the type of fur shouldn't really make a difference though, so maybe she doesn't really have allergies after all.

A quick question for you is....which rabbit do you find your heart pulling you towards the most? If I suddenly said to you, "Cross X off your list because its gone"....which one of those options would you feel the worst about having to cross off your list.
-This is a good question. I think I would feel terrible about crossing off a holland lop. I grew up with a mini-lop who stole my heart for 12 years, and I've always wanted a holland ever since. One of my dad's close friends has a 4-year-old holland that they've had since she was 6 weeks old who is the sweetest bun I've ever met. She licks your hands in return for pets, has curled up and fallen asleep in my lap on more than one occaison, she follows their three little girls around the house... she's just a great bunny. And she was terrified when they first got her, apparently. I just love lops. I've never met one I didn't like!
I like the idea of visiting either the holland or polish breeders so I could interact with bunnies of all ages and perhaps even visit a potential baby more than once before getting her. I also like how you know what is in a baby bunny's past.
And I would not want to cross a lionhead off my list either, although for some reason I think their fur would be worse than other breeds, because it is wooly, but then again, so are hollands.
[sigh] This is just the last bunny I will be getting for at least three years... and that is a long time. I want her to be perfect for me, and for Flynn :)

For males - I've found that my lops and lionheads have had the same personality usually - SWEETHEARTS.

I had a breeder tell me (before I got into breeding lionheads) that lionheads and lops have a lot of the same personality traits. I sorta - partly - agree - but also largely disagree.

I've found lops to be more...affectionate (I have limited experience with lops though). Every lop we've had save one - whether they were purebred Holland lop, Holland lop mix or mini lop (my biggest regret was in rehoming him...long story)...have been friendly and affectionate. My one purebred Holland lop female though - far different story. She was very aggressive - not at all friendly towards humans. She was even from the same breeder as my super affectionate male lop.

I don't think you'd have much problems (fur wise) with a single mane lionhead - but a double mane - yeah... you might want to stay away from. Many of the single manes came from Netherland Dwarf/lionhead breedings...so their fur isn't as bad as you might think.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers as you make this decision. Its a tough one to make.

I would encourage you to seriously consider working with the breeder (OR rescue) that will work with you and Flynn with some bunny dates so that you can see how their personalities will mix.

By the way - I'm not trying to say don't go with a rescue..but more along the lines of - don't go with an option (breeder or rescue) where you can't find a home for the rabbit if it doesn't turn out well....

I think you're doing a great job of research and thinking through what you want.....

Edited to add: I meant to say this.....

From my experience - both lionheads and lops have an inquisitive personality and love to explore. Sometimes it has seemed like the lops have more of an "energizer bunny" battery inside them and they will be more active. This is not always true - one of my lionhead does (Titania) got up on my dining room table when she was younger and chewed up the mortgage bill... Another older now (2 years old - Popcorn) will jump the rabbitry gate with a single bound (2 NIC panels high) and take off running through the house to do laps.

But overall - the energy level of the lops seemed to be a bit higher than that of the lionheads.

I also have found that my lops enjoy the outdoors and playtime on the porch more than the lionheads. Puckina is always one of the last ones back in the rabbitry as she loves the outdoors so much.

Once again though - I've not had nearly as many lops as I've had lionheads - so my opinion could be off a bit.

But if I had it to do over again - while I'd still have lionheads - I'd have bred more lops too and had more of them. They're just so sweet...most of the time...unless they're staring down the vacuum cleaner (at 6 weeks of age) and thumping at it and charging at it...

:biggrin2:

Yeah - that was the Puckster. So tiny at 6 weeks old and trying to tell Art that he could NOT vacuum up Puck's poops...

Puck. Wait a minute. Are you the one who had the prblems with the very agressive mini lop that bit your breasts? I remember following this story awhile ago. I felt very bad for you in making decisions regarding what do do about the situation :(
Since there are two breeders very close, I am hoping they will allow me to visit within the week to judge the personality difference between the two breeds. Then, I think I will have more of an idea of what I'm looking for breed-wise and maybe Midwest will have something for me :)
I wish bucks could be bonded to bucks... I do like male bunnies a lot more! They always seem to be more affectionate. Except in Flynn's case, of course. But he is still very young, so I'm hoping once his neuter is complete that he will calm down a bit. He's a bold little guy- will clamber in my lap for treats and veggies, and always jumps up to greet me when I switch positions on my bed or enter/leave the room. He'll bonk me with his nose and dig at my legs when I'm in the way. But pets? No thankyou. And being picked up? Absolutely NOT! I think his rebellious little attitude makes me love him more though-- he's a challenge. And a very amusing/entertaining bunny. He is just nothing like that wonderful Mini Lop that we had... but perhaps in time. And if not, I love him just the same.

Jess_sully wrote:
Puck. Wait a minute. Are you the one who had the prblems with the very agressive mini lop that bit your breasts?

Nope - not me. My one mini-lop that I had was a "rescue" situation. We decided that we would rehome him at a show in Seguin, TX if the right person came along....sure enough - a little girl came along - about 10 or so - she'd saved all her own money to buy a cage and all the stuff needed for a rabbit - but wound up not having the money for a rabbit. The only breed she wanted (after having done her research) was a mini lop - preferably a buck.

So we rehomed our boy with her - and I miss him to this day. I know he's probably in a far better place cause she had really done her research and knew about giving bunnies playtime, etc. The fact that he SNUGGLED into her arms within about 2 minutes - helped us make the decision.

My one aggressive doe is Milina - a chocolate holland lop that would chase and bite our old black lab mix dog...because the bedroom was "hers". Needless to say - she's nowhere near the dog now. She's very aggressive - can be a snugglebun sometimes - but not usually.

My other lops - have been lovers. Energetic lovers with lots of curioisity...but they love people mostly.

Since there are two breeders very close, I am hoping they will allow me to visit within the week to judge the personality difference between the two breeds. Then, I think I will have more of an idea of what I'm looking for breed-wise and maybe Midwest will have something for me :)

This is a really good plan - but may I suggest that when you make arrangements to visit - you let them know that you are "just looking" ahead of time and that way they'll know to not hold a rabbit for you ahead of time unless you're really interested in that particular one.

I don't know if I'm making sense. But many times I've brought out rabbits only to find out later the folks were "just looking". No problem -except I'd already prepared a bag of food - toys - hay - etc. to go with the bunny....and it would've saved me preparation time if I knew they just wanted to look.

I wish bucks could be bonded to bucks... I do like male bunnies a lot more! They always seem to be more affectionate.

I have had ill bucks that live together (yes - they're intact). I find that they usually get along really well.

I shouldn't share this - but right now Robin has three intact bucks living together in her bedroom - they're bonded (well two of the three are close and the third one is sort of a loner).

However - these are very "mild mannered" lionheads - I have some bucks I wouldn't want near another buck.

I honestly think that depending upon the breed -and the individual personality of the buck - it can be done.

Doesn't mean its often recommended...and it can be a lot of work (although Ziggy and Hope bonded by themselves within 24 hours and they allowed Ooops in the room in about 24 hours too).

Except in Flynn's case, of course. But he is still very young, so I'm hoping once his neuter is complete that he will calm down a bit. He's a bold little guy- will clamber in my lap for treats and veggies, and always jumps up to greet me when I switch positions on my bed or enter/leave the room. He'll bonk me with his nose and dig at my legs when I'm in the way.

Oh how sweet - so many people would give anything for their rabbits to do that with them.

Today I was giving Wedge some baby food/pumpkin mixture and Miss Bea jumped up on the bed and was begging for some (she loves it). Then she got down on the floor (when that didn't work) and stood on her hind legs to beg for some...I gave in then.

My point is - at least he'll interact with you - so that is a good thing and I think a sign that he can develop more of a relationship with you.

I know that flemish have a different personality - but Tiny was like that when he was younger and in the last few months of his life - we became very very close. I never thought he'd be affectionate and would often get discouraged...but alas...we bonded.

I say all this to say - don't give up hope on him. It will probably take not only a neuter -but time spent with him - for him to become closer to you.

But pets? No thankyou. And being picked up? Absolutely NOT! I think his rebellious little attitude makes me love him more though-- he's a challenge. And a very amusing/entertaining bunny. He is just nothing like that wonderful Mini Lop that we had... but perhaps in time. And if not, I love him just the same.

I think that each rabbit brings something to our lives and each is so different. Tiny was my lovebug near the end of his life - Zeus...not so much. Zeus is more of a challenge (he's a flemish mix)...he doesn't really want mama but he will take the banana thank you.

Yet - they each create their own spots in our heart and we learn to love them for their quirks and their personality and for who they are as a person...even if they happen to have a fur coat.

Good luck in getting another rabbit. I think its so great that you want to open your heart and your home to another furry friend!

I'll try to keep an eye on this thread to see what you decide!

UPDATE: I have made my decision.
First of all, I did finally receive official permission from my landlady. The catch, however, was that my housemate Kate, the one with terrible allergies, could put any stipulations on the new bunny/situation that she wanted.
And after a long talk, her stipulation was: the new bunny had to have rex fur.
So just like that, the buns from Midwest, a Dutch, a Polish, AND a Holland Lop were out of the question.
I was very bummed. After searching online, I found a couple mini rexes at Midwest, but they just didn't appeal to me. I'm sure it would be different if I met them in person, but the shelter is so far away (for someone without a car!) and nothing in their descriptions really called to me either.
I found a few more mini rex breeders, but I still wasn't content. After all, I already HAVE a mini rex. I wanted to try something new, a new breed. What my heart was trying to tell me was that I REALLY wanted a lop again- like the mini lop that stole my heart in my childhood. He was snuggly, gentle, and a really lovebun. A little lazy, but a WONDERFUL bunny.
So then I was doing some more searching online and stumbled upon a Velveteen Lop club. Velveteens are a relatively new breed- they are basically miniature english lops (but still 2x as big as Flynn) with rex fur. I immediately found a breeder less than two hours away from me and contacted her. After reading nothing but great things about their personalities, I decided to go ahead and reserve a broken blue baby.
I know she's not a rescue bunny. But at this point in my life, when I am restricted to only two rabbits, perhaps I should just do what is best for my housemate and I, what makes me happy, and rescue a whole houseful of buns when I have my own house :biggrin2:
Either way, as long as my ride-situation works out, I am picking up my new little girl on November 25th, when she is 8.5 weeks old. :inlove:

Latest posts

Back