Decisions decisions...advice would be much appreciated!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombified

Reaction score
I am about to get my first bunny! The breed I have chosen to go with is Flemish giant and am so excited. He will be an indoor rabbit and mostly free-roam. I currently have a less than a year old cat, and a 15 week old puppy who at times can get a little rough playing but the 2 get along really really well. The choice I have to make is getting either a 4 month old black one, who's been outside his whole life, or a 7 week old fawn colored one? I kind of was hoping to get a baby but I almost wonder if it would be safer to go with the 4 month old 8lb bunny instead. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I have Flemish Giant! I only just got her about a month ago now. She's awesome!!! I got her from a breeder that kept his rabbits outside. I keep mine outside as well, but I bring her inside when the temperature isn't good for her (such as today- it was too hot out for her). She has a huge run to play in and an insulated dog house where she sleeps. I have a lab that was okay with the last rabbit I had (a holland lop "mutt") but so far, she has been far too interested in the new rabbit. I am waiting for them both to get used to each other before they actually "meet". If I were you, I would go with the older rabbit- because the size would be better in regards to your cat and dog. Flemish Giants are awesome!!! Good luck!!! I attached a pic of mine- she's about 4 1/2 months old now!

rabbit.jpg

I own two Flemish, both indoor and quasi free roam. On that note you might want to have something ready to keep the bun in just in case they misbehave, plus my two prefer their condo and I usually have to force them to be more social and actually free roam.

I'd go for the 4 month old. Or the one that has the better personality for you. Anyway at 4 months old their still almost a baby and their behavior will change as you go along. The size would also help. They grow up so fast so an 8 week baby will only he that for what, another month. Not a huge difference.

Last edited:
What a beautiful rabbit! Good luck with your rabbit/dog relationship also! I agree, Flemish Giants are awesome! About a couple years ago in a pet store I walked up to the pen with all the bunnies in it, and most bunnies when you walk up to them are somewhat skittish and hop away, but there were two larger ones in the pen that hopped towards me actually WANTING attention and to be pet, I found out they were flemish giants and have wanted one ever since! I finally have the right living conditions to have one and can't wait. Thanks for your opinion, I'm definitely leaning towards the 4 month old as of right now.

Thanks Troller! That helps a lot, knowing that they are still pretty much babies at 4 months and that their behavior and personality will still be growing. I'm sure the breeder I'm getting from handles him quite often and says he is really sweet and cuddly so I'm sure I can't lose by going with the 4 month old.

I was either planning on getting an XL size dog crate or penning off a section of a room for him to have his own little space and to keep him there at night and when I'm at work.

Xena comes in at about 17lb, Conan 16lb. They're a lot of fun but be ready for the destructive capability a Flemish possesses. They'll keep you on your toes.

Latest posts

Back