Dear Peanut

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Emily I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful memorial you wrote up for her. I was in tears reading it.

Binky Free Peanut you were so loved by everyone on here.

Susan:angelandbunny:

:sad:peanut meant so much to meand others who have rabbits with chronic ailments...I actually had a moment of silence for her at work (by myself) at 1:30 CST. Everyone at work thought I was nuts, but I thought it appropriate. She was one of those buns who lit up the world and gave hope.

Peanut, I know you're binkying tilt-free at the bridge. Say hi to all those other buns that passed this September...there were so many special ones that it's heartbreaking. And though it's hard for us here on Earth, I'm sure you're happy and that your mommy made the right decision for you.

And, I find it kind of a nice present that you got to show your mom and us that you were tilt free for a while before you left.

I think we should make September the Month of Bunny Remembrance here at the forums.

love to you and your family at this time.....
Poor Rex, give him a big cuddle from me.

I have followed Peanut's story for a while now and she will always be one of my favourite little bunnies.

Brave Peanut....loved so much:purplepansy:

Haley wrote:
How are you and Rex doing today Emily?

I'm okay. Had a really long cry this morning until I just couldn't cry anymore. I keep expecting to see her bounce out of the hideaway, or run over for noserubs :tears2:

Rex is still pretty shaken. He is eating and drinking, but it's not much more than half-hearted nibbling. He's also been acting, well, differently. He climbed to the top of their hideaway, and in the nine months we've had it he's never done that. He kinda just sat there and looked around.

When he saw Peanut yesterday, and it actually *clicked* for him, he picked up one of their small woven baskets and began vigorously chewing it. Just ripping the thing apart. I've noticed that several times he's seemed to get really upset and started taking it out on the basket.

He's needed a LOT more assurance from me today than he ever has; of the two, he was a lot more aloof with the humans. Today he's been running over to be petted and talked to every time I walk into the room. I talk with him honestly. "I know you miss her, bud. I miss her too. It's going to be okay."

Rex was sleeping on Peanut's blanket when I got home from work this morning. I had gone to Wal-Mart and bought him a new bolster bed (his favorite kind) and a fuzzy dog roughly Peanut's size and shape. I rubbed the stuffed toy with the blanket, and placed them both on the new bed. I've seen him over there several times, resting on the blanket
, sniffing at the dog. He's been sniffing the entire room. I realize that there comes a point when the place will no longer smell like Peanut, and knowing that makes me so sad for my boy.

Thank you for your continued thoughts. They have been an incredible source of comfort :bunnyhug:

I talk to the bunnies all the time. I think they understand to a point - he knows and he also knows that both of you are sad. I'm glad you have each other to get through this - Rex seems like such a good friend to bunny and person. He has a quiet knowledge or something that is very visible to me in his pictures and how you've said he would brace Peanut so she wouldn't roll and stuff.

It's too bad that more humans don't have his compassion.

He's always been a very wise old soul.

He cared for Peanut so well and seemed to know exactly what she needed. That she made it through last year's illness says as much about Rex's constant companionship as it does the supportive care we humans provided. Over this past week he was rarely away from her, and I do believe he knew that she was tired and ready to leave. But no matter how much he understood, it's obvious that he's feeling the loss deeply.

I have to remember that while I have work and school and family (and wonderful online friends), for the better part of each day, the bunnies just had each other. Peanut was Rex's world. I think that of the two, he will be better able to adjust to being alone. I just don't know how long it will take.

You are extremely insightful, m.e. I think of those things as well - what they do while we are busy and how it affects their lives if they lose someone or whatever.

Just try to love him to bits for me! I've always loved him and Peanut. I was at a store yesterday and they had several bunnies - one was a little baby black mini-rex and I told him (as I picked him up to snuggle his little furry body) how he reminded me of a tiny Rex Harrison bunny! and how gorgeous he was! and what a good boy he is and that he should be just like Rex.

I think the people in the petstore worry about the goofy lady who whispers to the bunnies. :?

Peanut had the best forever home.

The fawn mini lop with beautiful brown eyes was so well cared for by you and her long timebonded friend Rex.
She had a happylong and full life.
Give Rex extra kisses and snuggles for me.

We miss you, sweetie.

[align=center]
1454209547_90f1949d89.jpg

:bigtears:
[/align]

I thought I'd made it through the day okay, but now I'm just a mess of emotions. Peanut was my Heart Bunny. I know it sounds so selfish, but I need her. Rex needs her. I want her back :nerves1:cry1:

It's not selfish - you love her and miss her!

I still miss my kitty who passed away this spring, one that passed away 12 years ago, and all the others I've lost in the past.

http://www.petloss.com/ceremony.htm

Tonight I lit a candle for Peanut. I have not yet made it through a day without tears, but even this simple act of remembrance is healing:

[align=center]
1469898507_c38333602f.jpg

I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain,
[/align][align=center]not because I did not love you,
[/align][align=center]but because I loved you too much to force you to stay.
[/align]

I understand how you're feeling - I really do. When GingerSpice passed, it was a peaceful passing and I felt sort of .. numb...at peace in a way...I'd had time to sort of say goodbye, etc. But I was numb.

But it hit me later and I had a really hard time dealing with it. My family was shocked that I didn't fall apart....at first...and then when my loss started to sink in - they didn't know how to help. I didn't know how to ask them to help.

Unfortunately, I think it is going to get worse before it gets better. But I will say this....it WILL get better.

There will always be a part of your heart missing...a loss and regrets. But you will make it - and the day will come when you will realize you didn't cry all day long...and then the day will come when you can look at her picture and smile and remember the good memories without wanting to cry your eyes out over your loss.

Give yourself time to grieve and don't be afraid to grieve.

My heart and prayers are with you. We're all here for you.

Peg

m.e. wrote:
I thought I'd made it through the day okay, but now I'm just a mess of emotions. Peanut was my Heart Bunny. I know it sounds so selfish, but I need her. Rex needs her. I want her back :nerves1:cry1:

I have to say, this hit me very hard. I have always loved Peanut and Rex - I think I saw their relationship as the same as Pernod and Perry, with them doting on each other. When I saw that Peanut had gone to the Bridge,, it was like losing a friend.

Emily, you went that extra mile for her, and I think because of that and Rex's love, Peanut fought all the more against the odds. She truly was a very special girl, and we are all going to miss her.

I hope you and Rex are managing OK. My heart goes out to you.

Jan

Thank you Jan, Peg, Bo and everyone else who have offered support. It's sad that this is a pain so many of us share :cry1:

Back