Dealing with grief and guilt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeysangel

Reaction score
(Full disclosure: I have obsessive-compulsive disorder and spend an unhealthy amount of time spinning my wheels over whether I did the "right" thing in any given situation, so I don't know how helpful it is to bring this topic up... but right now I am dying of grief, and convinced that I killed my pet... my poor baby...)

My first rabbit, Joey, died Sunday night. He turned six last month. We first got him when he was ten months old. It was love at first sight for me: not only was he a gorgeous lionhead mix, but he was the sweetest, gentlest bun you could ever meet (albeit the most skittish as well... he ran away from literally everyone, but was always sure to come get a treat from me and give me kisses on the nose :bunnyheart). He's always had problems with ileus, though -- would get a significant episode at least once a year, and had a few major "close calls" -- despite being fed a diet of primarily timothy hay. It got so that I had developed a routine for him: syringe feeding him Critical Care and water, rubbing his belly, and chasing him around the room to get his digestive system moving (sometimes, but not always, doing all these things in tandem would nip it in the bud).

When it happened Saturday night, it was business as usual. Actually, he seemed even better than he usually did when he got stasis -- he actually had a lot of energy, he had passed a few nearly-normal sized pellets, and his stomach was rumbling (seeming to indicate that things were at least moving, even if he wouldn't eat). I didn't worry that much, although I did do tummy massages and encouraged him to move, which the slight bloat in his stomach seemed to respond to. I went to bed, then got up in the middle of the night to check on him.

Here's where I messed up... I found him sitting in the corner of his cage, hunched in pain. I immediately did some more massages and chasing, but he seemed much less responsive this time, and the bloat in his stomach had actually gotten worse. So I added in syringe feeding Critical Care and water, which he ate willingly enough. He passed a few more pellets, which was encouraging, but his temperature had dropped, so I wrapped him in a towel from the dryer and dozed off on the couch with him in my arms, worried now but still convinced things would blow over.

When I woke up again (around 7am on Sunday), it had become an emergency. The bloat had spread to beneath the ribcage (he has NEVER had bloat there before), and his gut was hard as a rock. I called the emergency clinic but the vet who's seen him in the past wasn't coming in for another hour. In the meantime I kept up the massages (knowing FULL WELL that if this was bloat I was only making it worse, but stupidly thinking "it must be ileus, he was still pooping just a little while ago, and this always works in the end..."). I went back to Critical Care and water infused with pineapple juice (which he mostly resisted), ran out and got simethicone drops (which he also resisted), then took him to the vet as soon as she got in. We declined a radiography (as I could barely afford it and was still, stupidly, convinced it was just "really stubborn ileus"), and she gave him pain meds, sub-q fluids, and a gut motility shot (which he's had and responded well to in the past).

I took him home for the last time and gave him Metacam, watched him closely (I finally gave up massages and chases at this point, and later the Critical Care/water when he refused to swallow), and took a shower. When I checked on him again, hoping the Metacam had set in and maybe he would eat now, he was seriously distended and we took him back to the vet. We paid for the x-rays, only to learn that there was "some kind of blockage" (they were pretty sure it was fur) that could only be removed by a surgery that he had almost no chance of surviving. At this point I couldn't take it anymore. He was bloated beyond anything I'd ever seen. The vet was recommending euthanasia... I signed the papers. I told my baby goodbye. He was still out of it from the anesthesia they'd induced to do the x-ray and I'm not sure he was even aware of us. They brought him out to us after they did it (we were told we couldn't be present for the procedure. I wish I'd fought them -- just another of my many regrets) and I said goodbye again.

I haven't stopped crying. I'm still stunned by how quickly he deteriorated. I have been agonizing over how he could have ended up with a blockage in the first place (he eats a TON of hay and gets fresh water every day, and I was brushing him semi-regularly that week), whether I should have just gone ahead with the surgery anyway, or even taken him home and tried some more pineapple juice to break up the fur in his gut (at least I'm assuming it was fur... the necropsy hasn't come back yet). Not only am I destroyed by the fact that he died, but knowing that it might be my fault or that I caused him needless pain in his last hours has only made the loss that much more excruciating. I can't believe that I still have to get up, go to work, and move on with life when there is no one in his cage begging for breakfast pellets in the morning, no one to demand to be let out when I get home from work, and no one to jump on me and attempt to eat a page out of the newest book I'm reading. Who knew that your entire world could be shattered in a span of less than twenty-four hours... :cry1:

Has anyone ever felt this way? How do you deal?

That sounds horrifying and I'm so sorry you had to go through that! Every bunny parent's worst nightmare. :cry4:

There's often very little that can be done to treat serious bloat. A blockage does not cause bloat! I believe you made the right choice to end his pain. If he had to go this way, at least he went with someone loving, comforting and caring for him all the way. Binky free, Joey.

I read something once about a loved pet's inheritance being to pass on the warm and loving home they left behind. It really resonated with me. I think there's no better way to honor your bunny's life than by opening your heart to one of his brothers or sisters sitting alone in a shelter. That's how I have dealt with the loss of my sweeties.

Nose-bonks and hugs from us to you!

I'm sorry for your loss, I couldn't imagine losing my bun like that, billy free Joey, it does help to adopt and give a brother or sister a home, I adopted a bunny from the RSPCA once my little skittles died it was hard but I felt better thinking that there is one more bun that has a home,
I can tell he would be dearly missed

It's human nature to second guess ourselves and replay the situation over in our heads and imagine what if's and different outcomes.

You didn't cause the blockage or bloat, you took very good care of Joey. And you didn't let him die alone in a cage, you took him to the dr for treatment more than once! Radiographing him the first time you went in (when you still thought he had ileus) would not have changed the outcome. You just would have had a potential answer sooner and would have been faced with the difficult decision (that you were not ready to make at that time)

Bunnies do not do well with that type of surgery, they usually pass away or are euthanized a few days later...your bunny was very sick and he would not have even survived the anesthesia I'm sure. I think you made a very brave, albeit hard decision that was in the best interest of Joey, even though it was very very hard for you. That tells me that you are an unselfish person, and you have the best interests of your pets in mind. You put your bunnies and their feelings ahead of your own. Joey was such a good friend to you, take heart knowing you did not let him suffer needlessly.

I think you're looking at things wrong. It appears you gave him six incredible years and went above and beyond taking care of him all the way till the end. No mistakes were made.
I also agree with others when it comes to adopting another rabbit. My last rabbit, Bud, died at 14 and I had him 10 of those years. I was so depressed I swore I'd never have another pet. A month later I found myself browsing shelters and ended up bringing Roxie home...wish I had done it sooner as I think it would have made the loss easier to handle.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Binky free little Joey.

We lost our little bun Beatrix just before Thanksgiving, and I still feel like it was my fault... she broke her back kicking during a nail trim, even though we had her in a bunny burrito like always to be safe. We rushed her to our best emergency vet, but she couldn't move, and her digestive system started to shut down after that and we had to let her go. She was only 2 1/2 but the sweetest little bun we could have ever asked for.

There is not a day that goes by that I don't miss her, but the days do get better as they go. Stay strong, and hold fond memories.

Thanks so much for all your responses. I am still having a really hard time looking at this with clear eyes and forgiving myself (I was experiencing a lot of anxiety and frustration/helplessness as his condition grew worse and feel like I transferred my stress to him, and that he died thinking I blamed him for not getting better). I haven't ruled out adopting a rescue rabbit in the future, but right now I am just feeling so raw.

I did get the necropsy call, and it turns out Joey's regular vet was there that night along with the emergency one and had performed the necropsy. He said there was a large hairball that was completely obstructing his GI tract and that there was nothing I could have done to prevent it. He agreed with the emergency vet that surgery was not a good option due to the low success rate and resulting trauma and I had done the right thing. He had also been present for the euthanasia and assured me that Joey went right to sleep when they administered the gas anesthetic.

We lost our little bun Beatrix just before Thanksgiving, and I still feel like it was my fault... she broke her back kicking during a nail trim, even though we had her in a bunny burrito like always to be safe. We rushed her to our best emergency vet, but she couldn't move, and her digestive system started to shut down after that and we had to let her go. She was only 2 1/2 but the sweetest little bun we could have ever asked for.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. :'( Please don't feel like you were the one at fault though -- Joey escaped from a "bunny burrito" during a nail trim once a few months ago and actually landed on the floor (by some miracle, he was all right). It's amazing how easily they can free themselves sometimes when they really want to. Thank you for your advice. That first night he was gone I cried so hard I got a splitting headache and thought I would actually get a nosebleed. Now I only cry when I see the empty cage. Today I wrote him a letter spelling out all my regrets and how much I missed him. I guess I'll fold it up and place it with his ashes when they come back to me.

Binkie free, Handsome~ :hearts:

HsNhVO.jpg

My daughter started with rabbits as a project, but we soon grew very attached to them (meaning she and I). She had two Flemish giants, a mini lop (we rescued), and two mini rexes. Just a few months before graduation, her female Flemish giant became suddenly ill. I thought she was just being lazy that morning when she didn't want to get up for her morning treat of banana, and I left to run errands for a few hours. When I returned home, I found her limp and fighting to get up. I rushed her to the vet to find out that she had an inoperable tumor and we had to put her to sleep. My husband had to bring our daughter to meet us and say goodbye. A few months later, our male Flemish giant (who had been chronically ill from day one - suspected that he was the result of a bad breeder because he was our first and we had no understanding of why you should get your rabbit from a reputable breeder or a rescue) got sick during the day, but I was too busy to notice, and by the time I found him, he had some foamy stuff coming from his mouth. I rushed him to the vet, she kept him overnight, but I had to bring our daughter home from college to say goodbye as we put him to sleep. Fast forward now to my daughter being gone due to college and I am now invested in the three little buns we have left. Two of our bunnies became ill a few months ago. We rushed them to the vet at the first sign something was wrong. One rabbit recovered fully after a treatment of Baytril, but the other is still struggling with what is now going to be a chronic illness with the cause still unknown (all the culture tests have been negative). I know how you felt at first - like you should have known something else was wrong, or like you should have been able to save them. Those little fur balls invade your life and you want to do your best by them, but sometimes our best is just not enough to save them. Our one little sick bun is having symptoms again and our rabbit savvy vet is gone for the next ten days. If I have an emergency there is another vet available, but he is not as knowledgeable. It makes me so anxious when he's sick, and I check his cage obsessively to see if there is something I can do to help him. I set my alarm to get up every two hours to check on him, and I have a hard time sleeping if I think he might be suffering. So far, we have had only one or two nights where I didn't think he would make it, but my daughter and I had a long talk and we have both made peace with whatever will happen in the future. We can only do our very best, and after that we have to not be so hard on ourselves if we end up losing our bunnies.

As with the results you received, you know now that you did everything possible for your bunny. He had your love and attention for six years, and now you will hold him in your heart forever. We buried our two buns in the back yard and will be turning the area into a small flower garden in the spring. We still cry occasionally when we see pictures or talk about them. The blanket our male Flemmie slept on is still folded up and laying neatly on the floor by her bed. She said that she can't bear to put it away. And I don't blame her. He was a pretty special bunny, our first baby, and so I know how you feel. My thoughts are with you!

Thank you for sharing your experiences with loss, doodlebugger. I'm praying that your sick bun gets better and won't require an emergency while your regular vet is away. I can't imagine going through that kind of experience twice (one reason why I'm so hesitant to adopt another rabbit -- I don't know that a second rabbit wouldn't also suddenly be attacked by bloat). I'm so very sorry on the loss of your first bun, particularly. They really are special, the ones that most worm their way into our hearts. (I totally get what you mean about obsessive worrying -- even on the occasions when my bunny's bouts of decreased poops and appetite didn't lead to a trip to the vet, I was always a nervous wreck. We just want them to be okay and it's so heart-rending when it seems like they're not going to make it...)

I received Joey's ashes a few days ago and am working on putting together a memorial for him (we're leaning towards a nice picture frame and a keepsake box with a place for photographs, the toy ball that came in his cage when we first got him, and his little bag of ashes). Your flower garden idea sounds lovely, and probably something I would have done if I didn't plan on moving in a few months. Today I am going to a rescue shelter to donate some of his things (some of them, though, like his cage, I can't bear to part with. I definitely know where you're coming from there!). Thank you again for your support.

Latest posts

Back