dead baby rabbits found while cleanning, had no clue she was pregnant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbie Medina

Reaction score
HELP
My mom was cleanning one of my rabbits habbitat and noticed a baby bunny laying on the floor, we had no clue she was even pregnant, I thought she was FAT (ive been switching up hay brands to see which they like best), and now theres no vet open (literally called everywhere! godamn you COVID19 and godamn me for living in a 3º world country).
Shes given birth to 2 dead babies, which were not breathing or moving, how more would she give birth to??

I removed the dead bodies but im panicking im scared for her.

I believe its an abortion , cause last night she escaped as I was cleanning her litter, moping over pee stains and just the regular rutine before going to sleep, girl is quick on her feet, jumped over a gate and then got into my other female rabbit habitat (cosita), who absolutely is the most aggresive bunny I have ever seen, they just dont get along, I ran but since my gates are high it took me like a minute to cross my patio into my laundry over into cositas pen to separate what was already a fight and catch the intruding bunny (cosin), my mom managed to catch her (cosin) and i catched cosita, I checked cosita found no bites put her on her pen, then laid down cosin on my patio to check for injuries saw two superficial bites and she seemed sluggish for a few moments, I put her back on her habitat put some antibiotics cream on it, watched her and she did shrug off the slugishness and became eager to get out so I thought she was fine, went to sleep.

Today, morning she jumped a 38 feet separation wall ( she has never before ) and got into the males habitat (this is a rescued bunny that i was nursing back to health before putting him up to adoption) and he humped her, I went inside quickly and separated them.

I believe those 2 event may have led to her abortion

I still dont know WHEN she got pregnant, my mom say that maybe she jumped the wall/fence before and we didnt notice

back to the matter, I need advise

IM SCARED

both of my females had neutering appointments scheduled for 2 months ago which were canceled due to COVID-19, I rescheduled and then they locked us in back again so vet closed, lost the appointment and was reschedule for Dec 20.

she is currently pulling all of her fur out, like she didnt even made a nest 1º dead bunny was on the bare floor, after the second she started pulling her fur out like crazy

First, make sure they can’t get to each other rabbits have been known to mate through the bars. Space them apart.

Your female may have figured out how to climb the bars of an x-pen if she’s in an x pen.

She may not be pregnant right now, she may just think she’s pregnant.
I’d just prepare for baby buns.
Nesting Box, ect.

If she is pregnant you’ll know in about 30 days.

@Happy Hollands

Last edited:
They are separated ALWAYS, each one of them is locked separately

I still have to figure out how she jumped the gate.

pregnant one sleeps on my balcony with a 36inch gate forbidding her to get out
aggresive one and male share a room separated by an 36 inch x-pen converted into a wall and then theres another gate/wall the one thats 38 inch preventing them both to escape into the outside of the room.

I have a big patio and they take turns to get out and have fun

Any advise on what to do with my pregnant female ?

She needs a nest box, big enough for her to be able to turn around in and high enough to keep the babies from crawling out, but low enough for her to hop into and not so big any more babies she might have can get scattered in it and get chilled. That's likely why the other babies died, they got chilled from not being in a nest. Fill the nest box with hay then hollow out part of it for the babies to nestle down into. Line the hollow with her fur if she doesn't do it herself. Then monitor her, but not too closely or she may delay giving birth.

Then if she has babies you will need to start increasing her feed, which should be at least 16% protein alfalfa based, gradually over the next week, to 3-4 times the amount she gets now.

This site has good info on what to expect and do with new babies and the mom.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm
Providing Your Doe a Nestbox for Her Babies | The Nature Trail (can't vouch for the details on this site as I haven't read through it, but it shows what a nest will look like)

First, make sure they can’t get to each other rabbits have been known to mate through the bars. Space them apart.

Your female may have figured out how to climb the bars of an x-pen if she’s in an x pen.

She may not be pregnant right now, she may just think she’s pregnant.
I’d just prepare for baby buns.
Nesting Box, ect.

If she is pregnant you’ll know in about 30 days.

@Happy Hollands
wait you mean pregnant again?? jesus christ she just gave birth to death babies, can she get pregnant before giving birth ? the incident happened before the birth
lordy
I'll get ready this time ill be ready

can i put tshirts its 10:00pm here and we have curfew from 8pm on soo everything is closed RN,
can i "build" a nest box?? i hardly doubt they sell one in my country

No, but she can get pregnant right after giving birth.

Use a cardboard box, shoe box, small bin, really anything that is about the right size. If you don't have hay, yes you can temporarily line it with a towel, blanket, crumpled newspaper, shirt, or other material that might be suitable but safe. Then make a hollow and line with the fur. When you make the nest with hay later, save the fur and put it in the new nest.

Also, keep checking on her. She may have more babies and may not have them in the nest. In which case you will need to transfer them to the nest. If she has any and they start to get cold before you find them, they will need to be slowly warmed up with body heat or a heat pack that isn't too hot, before putting them into the nest. A chilled baby will die. But also, they aren't really considered dead until they are warm and dead. A cold baby can sometimes seem like it's dead, but when warmed up may be ok.

Last edited:
used a shoe box lined with a towel, found another baby it wa sunder her reason I didnt see it before, l put all of her fur in the box an baby

this baby looks still too, hella still and was cold ....shes digging, baby is in there and she diggin hard, wont she hurt the baby ? given he isnt dead already

should i expect more babies, i had to get out cause she was tumping and leaving a trail of blood, i think ther emight be another one to come

3rd baby wont move .. im gonna cry

she moved out of the nest leaving 3rd baby there , should i worry?? should i take it out??

Rabbits don’t stay with their babies like dogs, in the wild it would be leading a predator to the babys. They nurse about twice a day.

I’d get some fur from another bun if there isn’t enough

is it posible for her to give birth to 3 dead babies? or like something went wrong with the pregnancy? like they should move as soon as they are our or?? i mean how can i tell its death or not other than not moving

she allowed me to pet her, still trembling like alot, then suddenly thumped and i got the cue to get out

ill take a pic of the "nest" an upload it , she rearranged it "her way"

btw babies look so fragile reason why i thought they were premature they dont look like what ive seen on instagram

Yes babys can be born dead.
Holland Lops (breed), first litter usually don’t make it unfortunately.
If that happens to be your female buns breed.

Last edited:
You can keep the baby out of the nest somewhere warm, until mom settles down and is done giving birth. If she still tries to mess with the babies and injure them, you can remove the whole nest box and only return it to her mornings and evenings for her to nurse them, then remove the nest. Some inexperienced moms will injure, maim, or even kill the babies. So yes, do not leave them with her if she is messing with them other then hopping in there, sitting there and letting them nurse, which usually won't be for at least 12-24 hours following the last birth.

how long should labor be?? its been hours i noticed around 7:30pm now its 12:00pm

heres the pic

no mov on 3º baby should i remove??

Attachments

• IMG_0588.jpg
    IMG_0588.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 23
Back