day 35 going on 36

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clevername

Reaction score
Ok this is honestly the first time I've had a doe go this long without delivering. I've palpated her and I'm fairly sure there is a kit or two in there (I feel soft heads and cashew shaped bodies). And I'm certain about the date she's due. The other two does I bred on the same day kindled on time Sunday night.

She doesn't appear to have entered labor, she's not anxious or anything. She fusses occasionally with her nest box, but she hasn't pulled the amount of fur I'd expect her to given that we're this late in her gestation.

I've tried every trick in the book to try inducing her lavendar, putting her back with the buck...she excepts him (but then again I've never had her refuse)

So what do you guys think? Should I call the vets to see if they'll chemically induce her or do you think its safe to let nature take its course. There's always a chance I'm wrong and she didn't take but is there risk to her if I'm wrong?

I say it's at least worth a call to the vet to see what they think is best.

Tums should do the trick. Whether it is an "outdated" go at it or anything I do not know I just know it made my doe who was 35 days along finely have hers. I used the tums aproach often, even had friends use it with success. You could also go the parsley route, whether it works or not I do not know. I have a friend who has had her family breeding for 20 odd years and apparently they work for them. They go about it in a very old school way.

Personally for me if she is not in labour I would leave her with nothing natural works. They will come when it is time. If she is in labour but nothing happening that is why I would take her in.

I know there are some herbs that help to induce labor.
I think one is rasberry leaves. Those may be hard to get a hold of.
I will find out what the other one is.

eta: I couldnt find the other one. But rasberry leaves help with delivery and stuff.

It is amazing how many herbs are medicines for bunnies!

Our New Zealand "lily" went 36 days and finally delivered one kit. Pulled absolutley no hair until she delivered. Same with our Holland Lop Ebony. 34 days and nothing until delivery. Good luck to you! we'll keep you in our bunny prayers!

Vicki

nothing.

I palpated again and the "clump of babies" I thought I was feeling seems to have gotten smaller. I should note I never felt the hardened skulls which I normally feel this late in pregnancy--so I kinda felt something was up when she didn't deliver.

I suspect she may be reabsorbing them? Does that even happen this late into gestation???

I have been told it can not happen this late however I have had it happen on day 32. I will swear that I know 100% that there was 3 babies in the doe on day 31. Day 32 there was no babies in her, the box, the cage, the ground nothing. No blood at all. I was told she had to of misscarried because it was when she was due but there would had been blood if she misscarried. I also had a friend have it happen. Rabbits are odd creatures and full of suprizes :p

Back