Daughters Hamster cage tour.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cute video. Not to be the bad guy, but that cage shouldn't be used for any hamster. It's too small and there isn't enough floorspace. Super Pet just makes those because they are small and "attractive" to buyers. I reccomend a 20 gal aquarium or bin cage. I've never built one (I use an aquarium because I'm lazy XD), but they are easy to make. Shoot Imbrium a PM for more info:)

She has a 40 gallon aquarium, beacause my husband breeds fish and has a ton! She just got him about a week ago and is working on making him levels in his aquarium. Youre not the bad guy, its the internet id be stupid to have posted and not expected someone to say something about his cage haha!

Looks like the whole family had to get in on the filming - lol. And such a cute looking little girl. She handles the hamster very gently which is a good sign. It's obvious the hamster knows her already. The way it runs around just either its cage (safe place) or her shows its already bonding with her. I actually have hamster cages that are about that size for mine and they're fine but they get hours a day outside the cage in a safe room to roam. The easy to take off and clean bottom really makes a difference for me. One thing - have you considered buying a litter box for the hamster's cage? If he's like most hamsters he's already peeing in just one corner of the cage. You drop the litter box in that corner and insta-litter trained hamster. Also makes clean up a ton easier too. Another suggestion I'd make is to take any corn out of the hamster food if there is any. Corn makes for fat hamsters but I've also noticed that now that I've started picking it out of the mix, the number of hamsters that end up with tumors has dropped by almost 90 percent. Which is a little too coincidental for me to ignore. He looks like a real sweetie, mild mannered and easy going, and the more time she spends handling him the closer he's going to bond with her. I've had some that will even get to the point of coming when I call their name. She seems really serious about her hamster care and that's one lucky little guy she's got. Very happy for the both of them. :)

She is so responsible with him, He is out of his cage with her all the time. 80 pecent of the time when she opens the door and its her, he will come right out to her. I can tell they have a great bond, and she buys all his stuff with her allowance.

The one bad thing it he uses his wheel as his bathroom! so strange but thats his place. Hoping when his bigger place is done he will pick some other place to do his buisness!

ahhh - yes. The peeing on the wheel and then running. I have no idea why but I've had a few hamsters in the past that did that. Never found out what caused it and never really found a fool-proof way to get them to stop. Sounds like you're raising a responsible kid and one with a sweet heart. Hamsters can be such little buddies. Before I got my first one I had no idea that so much personality (or such deviousness) could be packed into such a small critter. They've going to be wonderful for each other. :thumbup

Lol that's funny. I've never had that happen, and my hams are constantly on their wheel (I have 2 Robos). But my friend breeds Syrians and has that problem.

Know any kind of material that would be good for building levels? Maybe just regular untreated wood, Not sure yet how it will be. Trying to move into a new house first.

I would use plexi-glass for the levels. All you need is aquarium sealent (silicone) to hold up the levels. I've heard of some people using popsicle sticks for levels too.

A good website for questions like this is Hamster Hideout; http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/

Also, I agree with sending Imbrium a PM. She has a lot of hamsters (if I remember right), and she knows a lot about them.

That is absolutely adorable!! I love when she was showing how to put the cage back together and her hamster was running around like, "Hey, you forgot me." LOL You can tell she spends a LOT of time with him. And I love how gently she picks him up and puts him back down. Very cute little girl, and an awesome little caretaker, too. :)

Aweomse! We have lots of silicone beacause of all the tanks! Il try and get some and build the levels and try and get in touch with imbrium!

You should join Hamster Hideout! I'm KittyKatMe on there too and you'd be surprised how many people have hammies and bunns lol

Awesome, I would love to join there! i need plenty of things to do.

I think we decided to build a wooden insert for the size of the tank that has all the levels so that it can be taken out and cleaned very easy.

Latest posts

Back