Dark or black fur growing underneath white haired rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornflakes

Reaction score
Hey, not sure if some of u remember me. The rabbits are doing well now after the Revolution treatment and the baby rabbit has all the fur grown back.

I just wanted to ask something about the dad (white rabbit). I've noticed the past week or so a slight darkening underneath his white fur coat on his face, head, and ears area. It looks like some black hair or dark roots are growing underneath his entirely white colored coat. Is this normal? Does this occur due to the cold weather or is this a symptom of something else?

I could take a picture if anyone needs. I'd have to get real close with a macro mode shot...it just looks like he's growing dark hair at the roots but he's all white and he's never had any black hairs.

Someone with better color skills may be able to help you. But are the dark parts on his nose and ears? He may be developing color points? But I'm not sure.

I know with Himalayan cats, the weather effects their colors. The colder it is the darker their points. But I don't know if its the same for rabbits. I remember that rabbit and he was totally white, so thats weird.

I'm glad they're doing so much better! I've thought about them several times over the last few months. :) you did a great job!

sometimes rabbits have color changes when they molt... I wouldn't think it's anything to worry about.

I'm glad they're doing well and the baby has totally recovered from those horrible mites!

It's possible that your rabbit has either a Californian or Himalayan parent or grandparent(s). When the weather gets cold the markings on that breed get dark on the ears, nose, feet, tail. It can also get dark in other areas if the hair comes in direct contact with something very cold.

very informative responses! Thanks. Yeah, I don't think it's anything concerning...I just noticed it more and more latley as I've been upclose and feeding him. I get to pet him everyday now (the white one) and he doesn't run away. He always runs to me to see what I've brought him today. He stands up on his hind legs and puts his front paws on my knee to see what's inside the bag....of course it's timothy hay lol. He's eating it well now. The baby rabbit still eats it sparingly and really seems to stick to the pellet food, but the father rabbit is eating the hay really well.

I'm on a 1+ week holiday so I won't see them for awhile. I miss them already!

I've wondered how these rabbits have been doing. I'm so glad they've warmed up to you! It's good to hear that they are both doing well and that the baby completely recovered. Feel free to post pics if you get a chance. Would love to see their cute faces again :)

I'd say that his hair will probably darken. When I got Houdini, he wasn't completely white but the darker fur was still very light. Now, he's got a completely dark face and ears and dark markings over his back but I love his colouring and it was strange to see him change from his baby colour to his adult colour. I suppose sometimes how they start out is not how they finish. ;)

I agree-he could be developing points! Sounds very cute (pointed bunnies are my favorites :) )

Latest posts

Back