Dark fur spots

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silkybunny

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, one of the two sister rabbits I have died. We're unsure of the exact reason, but the morning of her death she was very weak and much lighter than usual (they are Flemish Giants). We buried her and deep cleaned out their hutch, keeping the other one inside and in our view for a while while the hutch dried out. One thing I noticed before the rabbit died was that her fur was becoming patchy in color. Not that she was losing it or anything, there were just spots darker than others that hadn't been there before. I have a picture posted below (she was the brown one). I didnt really think much of it, assuming she was shedding. But now the other bunny seems to have these dark spots around her eyes, like she's wearing goggles. (She's the darker one). I'm spending lots of time with her every day so she hopefully doesnt get too lonely without her sis, and I know that isn't ideal, but I just wanted to make sure this dark coloring isn't something serious I need to be concerned about and what the spots on the other rabbit may have been.20200521_112108.jpgScreenshot_20200521-112411_Photos.jpg

I also don't think it's related, just changing her coat. Sorry to hear about your other bun

Yes, looks like a somewhat unusual, but not unnormal molt pattern to me too.

There might be a connection though, if the other rabbit ingested more fur than she could stomach, that maight have contributed to her death. Lisa Simpson necklace poops are normal, but a sign that a lot of fur is swallowed, if there is something wrong and cant be passed that would be bad.
Keep an eye on her poop while molting, and brush lose fur off, slightly damp hands work pretty good.

Latest posts

Back