Dark black poo, sudden change

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownieDaisyandJasmine<3

Reaction score
My 3.7 year old bunny, Daisy suddenly had a drastic change in poo colour. It used to be light brown, almost golden, larger in size with perfect texture.

But over the last 2 weeks theyre too dark, almost black, smaller in size and harder. The inside of it when crushed has a normal fibre texture, but on the outside its just black.

Theres been no change in diet, except 3 days ago when I opened a new bag of hay, but this has been happening for the past 2 weeks so the new bag couldnt have had anything to do with it. My other bunny is on the same diet, and has normal golden poos.

I was also concerned if she has a dental problem, because once or twice I saw her moving her jaw weirdly, but she doesnt have a problem eating very hard hay stems, pellets and her normal veggies.

Her weight is stable at 1.6 kgs. Everything else is normal. What could be causing this? Worms or parasites? Other digestive issue?

My last bunny who just passed away in February also had started having really dark poo which continued for months. She'd been through a lot of things, a spay surgery lots of travel for it, and then the meds afterwards. But she started having dark poos wayy before all of this.

Anyone have any experience with something similar? Did it ever get back to normal? Plz help me out...

Is she eating any fresh grass? Or has the texture of the hay she's eating changed to more softer leafy strands? Is she eating the same amount of hay as usual?

When the same amount of food is being eaten and poops become a little smaller and darker, it often has to do with the hay being a softer higher protein hay, or more fresh grass being eaten. This causes there to be less indigestible fiber in the poops, from eating coarser hay stems which give it the lighter golden color, and there to be more protein instead giving it a darker color and smaller size from less indigestible fiber.

Though dental issues may not be entirely ruled out when a rabbit suddenly changes eating habits when none of their food has changed.

No
Is she eating any fresh grass? Or has the texture of the hay she's eating changed to more softer leafy strands? Is she eating the same amount of hay as usual?

When the same amount of food is being eaten and poops become a little smaller and darker, it often has to do with the hay being a softer higher protein hay, or more fresh grass being eaten. This causes there to be less indigestible fiber in the poops, from eating coarser hay stems which give it the lighter golden color, and there to be more protein instead giving it a darker color and smaller size from less indigestible fiber.

Though dental issues may not be entirely ruled out when a rabbit suddenly changes eating habits when none of their food has changed.
No I have not been giving fresh grass recently. They did get some of it last month, but the rains have started so I cant go out and get it anymore. Yes shes eating the same amount of food as usual. As for texture, she goes for the soft leafy parts as well as the hard stems. My other bun is also on the same diet, he too eats the same way as her, though he like the hard stems more. He has perfect golden poos. I cant think of any other changes.

If she's eating more of the soft leafy strands, then that is probably why the poop looks like that now However, if you feel this change could be dental related, it may be good to have her teeth checked.

If she's eating more of the soft leafy strands, then that is probably why the poop looks like that now However, if you feel this change could be dental related, it may be good to have her teeth checked.
Are there any other things besides dental issues or just consumption of soft hay for dark poos?

Surprisingly, she never had poos this dark when she used to eat grass along with hay.

Also, Im at crossroads with the possible dental issue. Because she eats hard stuff like her cardboard toys, carrots, stem parts of hay, pellets etc. She doesnt react at all when I gently press the sides of her face where the teeth are supposed to be, she purrs when I do that, in fact. But sometimes she will move her jaw weirdly. Like somethings stuck at the back of her mouth.

When should I start considering a dental issue? Weight loss? Excess water consumption?

Latest posts

Back